Effect of One Step on Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesNBrews

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using One Step to clean out my carboys, usually letting them soak full overnight. I'm noticing that a ring is forming at around the top of the carboy, that I can't get rid of. It almost looks like the small bubbles that rise up and out the top are clouding the glass.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, and whether or not I should expect to get rid of these rings.

Thank you for your help.

afaik One Step is a percarbonate based cleaner (like oxi-clean), so if your water is very hard, that is probably mineral deposits. I'd prefer not to have deposits in my carboys.

there are a few ways to get rid of that sort of thing. acid washing is probably the most straight forward. perhaps put a gallon or two of vinegar in it and invert it in a bucket for a few days?

"CLR" (mostly lactic acid) or lime-away (mostly phosphoric acid) should do the job too.

a more advanced approach might involve ammonia and disodium EDTA. But i don't have details for that one at the moment.

If my guess is right about the water, you avoid this by not soaking long enough for the minerals to settle.

Latest posts

Back