right way to add fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So I have done some research on here and online and I've read different things. Im making a Raspberry Wit and tomorrow im adding the frozen fruit. So whats the best way........put the fruit in a pot with water just covering the fruit and simmer at 160 for 10-15mins or just dump it in secondary and rack on top of it? I've heard the 1st way takes away some of the flavor of the berry and then i've heard the second way could cause infection but then it couldnt b/c of the alcohol already formed in the beer. So whats the best way? Also how much fruit should I use. I have a little over 4lbs for 5g. I want a good raspberry taste w/o just overpowering the wit.

Thanks

Raspberry is a pretty strong flavor. I would keep it to under 3lbs in a wit. As far as adding it, it all depends on how paranoid you get with your beer. I have a carefree attitude towards brewing, and I've never had an issue. I usually just toss the fresh fruit in after freezing it. I'm sure people will disagree with this, but it's worked for me.

My $0.02: Thaw and remove the seeds by running through a sieve. Add them to a secondary, and rack on top of the fruit.

I would avoid cooking in any way.

I am not sure how much flavor you're going to get, but the color and aroma will be nice!

Cooked fruit tastes like cooked fruit.

I would just thaw and toss it in.

This ship has already sailed but for fruits where I can get it (raspberry, blueberry, cherry etc) concentrate has given me a better result than anything. I get it from Brownwoodacres.com.

Cooked fruit tastes like cooked fruit.

I would just thaw and toss it in.

This ship has already sailed but for fruits where I can get it (raspberry, blueberry, cherry etc) concentrate has given me a better result than anything. I get it from Brownwoodacres.com.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a reliable source of pomegranate concentrate.

I guess ill stay away from cooking it, does right around 3lbs sound like a solid number to everyone to add?

Hold up last time I tried fruit I add it in the boil at 15 mins. to go instead of hopping and my 2 gallon experiment disappeared faster than any other beer I have made.

Hold up last time I tried fruit I add it in the boil at 15 mins. to go instead of hopping and my 2 gallon experiment disappeared faster than any other beer I have made.

Fruits can be added just about anytime in brewing, including the boil. But, the best flavors come from the secondary. You won't lose as much aroma and flavor to the boil/yeast.

Secondary. Just throw 'em in. Been there, done that, no problem.

On another note, I used the concentrate once by pouring into secondary and racking on top of it and it just didn't get mixed in at all. It just sat on the bottom. So if you use that in the future it may be good to dilute it with some sterilized water first to make it a bit thinner. Maybe someone else can comment on that for you. I don't think my way was the best so don't do that.

Back