White spots on the side of my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck86

Reaction score
I am new to this wine thing. I have only brewed pruno in the past...but i recently put out some money and got some good yeast and equipment to try my first wine batch. I have noticed little white spots forming on the sides of the carboy (outside of the fermenting liquid)....my thinking is that it is just yeast that ended up clinging to the side of the carboy...has anyone else had this happen? It's probably just newbe fears

Glass or BetterBottle type carboy and how far into the ferment before you noticed these white spots? And when you say "outside of the fermenting liquid" do you mean part of carboy not covered in liquid---which should only be a very small part of the neck? Any chance you can attach a photo for us??

redneck86 said:
I am new to this wine thing. I have only brewed pruno in the past...but i recently put out some money and got some good yeast and equipment to try my first wine batch. I have noticed little white spots forming on the sides of the carboy (outside of the fermenting liquid)....my thinking is that it is just yeast that ended up clinging to the side of the carboy...has anyone else had this happen? It's probably just newbe fears

Likely yeast. Is it a better bottle? Mine gets yeast build up at the seams.

I can't get a clear photo unfortunately. My camera phone isn't the best. I think it's just yeast. I'll keep an eye on it. It hasn't grown or anything, And the wine still has a good sweet smell to it. I will post a little more as I learn and know more. Just have the newbe worries seeing as this is my first batch of "decent" wine...a little over protective of it

I can't get a clear photo unfortunately. My camera phone isn't the best. I think it's just yeast. I'll keep an eye on it. It hasn't grown or anything, And the wine still has a good sweet smell to it. I will post a little more as I learn and know more. Just have the newbe worries seeing as this is my first batch of "decent" wine...a little over protective of it

When did you start this one? If it has a "sweet smell" to it, it seems like it is a new start, but if it's been more than about 5-7 days, make sure the wine is appropriately topped up to near the bung. You shouldn't have any headspace after about 7 days.

If it's earlier than that, it's probably just yeast.

Back