Cleanest yeast for APA and IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I've used WLP-001, 1056 and S-05; most recently a lot of S-05. I'm confident I get a very weird ester profile from S-05. I have food temp control in my fridge; typically ferment 62-64F. I have fermented using closed-vessel fermentation on the last 4 batches with S-05. I do not like the flavor S-05 introduces. What yeasts do you all prefer for hop forward beers?

I've noticed (after hearing others say it) that s05 gets weird "peach" esters when it's fermented below 65 degrees. I'm usually a fan of fermenting ales at 62-64 degrees, but not with S05 anymore.

I like WLP001 at 65-68 degrees for hoppy beers, and I'm finding that I really like pacman yeast below 65 degrees for those same beers. I don't have any pacman right now so I'm using the 001 a lot, and I really like it.

It's strange, but I also like Wyeast 1335, a British strain, at cool temperatures for hops forward American ales. It seems to help make the hops stand out, and give a dry finish.

I mainly use the 001 between 64-68 F for APA and IPA. Always turns out dry and hop forward.

Yooper said:
I've noticed (after hearing others say it) that s05 gets weird "peach" esters when it's fermented below 65 degrees. I'm usually a fan of fermenting ales at 62-64 degrees, but not with S05 anymore.

I like WLP001 at 65-68 degrees for hoppy beers, and I'm finding that I really like pacman yeast below 65 degrees for those same beers. I don't have any pacman right now so I'm using the 001 a lot, and I really like it.

It's strange, but I also like Wyeast 1335, a British strain, at cool temperatures for hops forward American ales. It seems to help make the hops stand out, and give a dry finish.

Plus 1 on pacman...I will do 60 on apa and IPA with pacman

Perhaps my mistake is fermenting in the 64-65 range; all though closed-vessel pressurized fermentation is claimed to suppress esters. Is Pacman available year round?

wyeast 1272 is supposed to bring out the hops a little bit. i've never used it though

kcpup said:
Love Pacman. Like Yooper, I go between 60-61. It works beautifully and is clean tasting and a reliable fermenter.

I've had similar experience with bottle harvested Pacman. Never tasted such a clean beer!

That's the Brit II, right. I think the mineral-y profile from some of the cleaner Brit strains is great for IPA, APA, it lets the hops pop, IMO. Not strange, the Brits mastered IPA and pale ale, and I think some of their yeasts are great in American versions of those styles, maybe moreso because our beers are hoppier.

My favorite for a very clean beer is 05. I like the tart apricot thing I get from it below 64-65 degrees, but many don't. If you ferment 05 around 66-68 degrees, it's a very clean strain. Like Yooper, I usually ferment low, 58-63 depending on strain, but if I want to get a very clean profile from 05, I go for ~66, maybe up to ~68 degrees. :mug:

progmac said:
wyeast 1272 is supposed to bring out the hops a little bit. i've never used it though

I just bottled an APA with 1272. Tasted great at the bottling; I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks!

I've had good luck at about 60 degrees and wyeast german ale 1007. In fact the yeast seems to thrive right about that temp for me without alot of yeast flavor. Pretty neutral!

I prefer Wyeast 1272 (Am II). I think the flavor is great, it is a beast at ripping through fermentation, is consistent, and floculates better than any of the other clean yeast I have used. Clear beer, clean flavor, fast. All good stuff for ingredient forward beers. I love that stuff.

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch has made a couple of really nice clean ales for me. A recent single hop pale ale I made with 2565 took 1st place in the American Ale category, and 3rd place BOS in a local comp.

I prefer Wyeast 1272 (Am II). I think the flavor is great, it is a beast at ripping through fermentation, is consistent, and floculates better than any of the other clean yeast I have used. Clear beer, clean flavor, fast. All good stuff for ingredient forward beers. I love that stuff.

What temp do you like to ferment at with 1272?

If it has not be suggested already, 1332 Northwest makes very nice APA/IPA's. When fermented around 60-64F it ferments fast, clean, and flocculates better than any of the American strains. Some people complain about tartness, but that it due to insufficient pitch or too high of a ferment temp.

I'm test driving WLP090 super yeast on 21 gallons of wort. When I made the starter, 3 steps, I found it flocced out without refridgeration in abaout one hour. It's still chewing away right now, but I'll let you know. Prior to this batch WLP 001 I found quite neutral and dry, letting the hops stand out.

Back