Insulating a Stainless Steel Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am FINALLY replacing my Cooler Mash Tun. My Cooler mash tuns have done me very well, but when this last one started to poop the bed, I fugured I'd buy something that would last me a lifetime. So, I purchased a Blichman Boilermaker 20 Gallon Kettle with the False Bottom. I have experience with these Kettles as I have the same Kettle for my Boiling Pot. They are over built and will last a lifetime. Question though. I need t figure out a way to insulate this thing so that it will hold heat. I do not want to direct fire my Mash Tun. I want to stick with my HLT set up. So, if you have a Keg as a Mash tun, or any other Metal Mash tun, LMK what you used to insulate it if you do not direct fire it. Pictures would be even better. :mug:

Yeah, I bought the same thing 6mos ago or so, and have still yet to wrap my MLT... Ill get around to it, eventually :D

But I have found that alien "mind probes" leave an almost nutty flavor in my final product... I have become kind of fond of it :D

Went to my Local Hardware store and picked up a Roll of Water Heater Insulation. Has an R Value of 11. Should work. After I rack this Wee Heavy to Secondary, I am all over the Wrap the new MLT Project. Then, Mayby, just mayby, if the Aliens look upon me with the right light and proper faces, I might even get to Brew Tonight:mug:

Did I mention How ROCKING my Wee Heavy is tasting already!?!?!? This stuff is going to ROCK This Fall.:ban:

I'm picturing grains with "O-faces," then big smiles.

now I have no idea how to respond to THAT :D

Went to my Local Hardware store and picked up a Roll of Water Heater Insulation. Has an R Value of 11. Should work. After I rack this Wee Heavy to Secondary, I am all over the Wrap the new MLT Project. Then, Mayby, just mayby, if the Aliens look upon me with the right light and proper faces, I might even get to Brew Tonight:mug:

Did I mention How ROCKING my Wee Heavy is tasting already!?!?!? This stuff is going to ROCK This Fall.:ban:

I have heard of people using the water heater blankets as well. If I remember correctly, be careful about bringing that stuff in contact with flames when you are firing your MLT. Of course, that holds true for any insulation you use ;)

Back