Need help with dual 120v GFCI problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEnglish

Reaction score
I've been building a dual 120v BIAB system w/ two 2000w elements for a while now. Due to school and Rugby it has taken me a while to get everything done. I am finally at the point where all I need is a few couplers to be welded on my kettle and then I can finish the build. After I built the control box I plugged both of the power cords into the same circuit to make sure the box worked. I worked out a few small kinks and everything seemed to be operating how it should. Since everything was working, I tried to plug the cords into two separate 20amp circuits. When I do this, I end up tripping the GFCI's once I try to turn both contactors, the PID, or power to the pump outlet. The odd part is that I can turn on my second contactor (which is on its own circuit), but when I try to turn on anything else (which are all on the other circuit) the GFCI's trip. I have rechecked my wiring multiple times and cant figure out why this would happen when I use two separate circuits instead of one. The only thing I can think of is how I wired my ground wire. The ground wire is connected to both circuits, and I have not tried using two separate grounds. Can someone please let me know if it was how I wired my ground, or if it could be something else. Thanks!

P.s. Thank you P-J for the wiring diagram. I would not have been able to build this without it.

One thing to be sure of is that the hot and neutral of each circuit MUST be kept completely separate from the other circuit. IOW, the hot from one circuit CANNOT use the neutral of the other circuit as a return. GFCIs monitor the current in the hot and neutral path and trip if they are not exactly equal.

One thing to be sure of is that the hot and neutral of each circuit MUST be kept completely separate from the other circuit. IOW, the hot from one circuit CANNOT use the neutral of the other circuit as a return. GFCIs monitor the current in the hot and neutral path and trip if they are not exactly equal.

After a closer look at my hot wires, I realized I accidently put a wire into the wrong wing nut. The wire connected the two circuits. I can't believe I missed that when I rechecked my wiring the first couple times. Thanks for the help!

Back