Obama - Prof. Gates - SGT. Crowley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jun

Reaction score
The beer picks are out,
Prof. Henry Louis Gates Jr - Red Stripe or Beck's
President Obama - Bud Light
Sgt. James Crowley - Blue Moon

So what does this say about the three men?

Prof. Gates - Definitely tying to make a political statement with Red Strip, Beck's should be thrown out of this conversation as it is an anomaly.
I think this says "I don't drink beer, I'll ask some of my friends for opinion as to what I should chose" - what else could explain Red Stripe or Beck's

President Obama - A very boring but very good choice for a President,
1) It is as American as it gets,
2) It is light so he can go on with his day after a quick lunch
Unfortunately it doesn't answer the question: What kind of beer does our President like?

SGT. James Crowley - Well,... a great choice for a summer outing. SGT. was the only one who didn't make a political statement, it is an American beer brewed in North American State of Canada.

Yes and Obama's choice is a Belgian owned brewery that is brewed in the US. I hardly think that is as American as it gets.

What? Obama's going to chug a BL and light up a Marlboro. He's one of us, you know. :rolleyes:

What? Obama's going to chug a BL and light up a Marlboro. He's one of us, you know. :rolleyes:

Yah, he is just like you and me...

Except I dont smoke and dont drink swill :D

Even when he tries to be like us by smoking and drinking, he is still out of touch :D

JUST ONCE I want to see a high-profile individual drinking a microbrew on national news. I thought Obama was all about supporting the small businesses. C'mon man, this was your opportunity to show you care! Beer fail.

What would you have said if he had chosen a Sam Adams then?

I mean I think this says nothing about any of the people... They might actually like those beers. And actually, I'm pretty sure that Obama has been seen drinking Bud Light before on the campaign trail... Hildog drank one at a bar. I don't think its a political statement at all. If you think about it most politicians have been at events their entire lives that are sponsored by large corporations, like Bud. The prof has been in the academia world for a while and, undoubtedly exposed to many kinds of beer through colleagues. The Sarge might just prefer a blue moon.

Also throw in there that this is probably the first and only time that these men will ever have a face to face private meeting with a President, I doubt they are being fussy over what they are drinking.

Stop over analyzing it.

Personally I think they should all drink Boston Lager (President's choice would make that even funnier) and sing Kumbaya....

To celebrate the spirit of the event, I bet they will all be wearing the fashion that this insipred...

shirt.jpg

I know I will.

Flying Dog offered to drive some over (they're about an hour away). That would have been awesome, especially when they looked at the bottles and said 'what the hell is this [Ralph Steadman] crap?'

I think you have a good point Bowtiebrewery, the beer selection tells us absolutely nothing about their personalities

Perhaps if all of them had these beers before anyone got arrested, this would have never been an issue.

Then again how cool would that bee if the Prez. took a American Craft Brewery tour to support small business....

How much are these three (fairly generic) beers going to cost us? Maybe I can get in a fight with The Pol during one of his flights then we can get a free beer with the Prez. It'll be like Strange Brew, eh? We can document people starting fights, trying to get publicity, all in the name of free beer!

-OCD

Then again how cool would that bee if the Prez. took a American Craft Brewery tour to support small business....

God, If he toured a small craft brewery in my neck of the woods... I'd be the first in line. From what I hear Biden, really likes to talk about the engineering end of things. So I think he would learn a lot just by talking to a real craft brewer.

I guess Jim Koch would also be an acceptable substitute...

Undoubtedly though, Obama would probably tour Bells since it is in Chi town

:mug:

How much are these three (fairly generic) beers going to cost us? Maybe I can get in a fight with The Pol during one of his flights then we can get a free beer with the Prez. It'll be like Strange Brew, eh? We can document people starting fights, trying to get publicity, all in the name of free beer!

-OCD

Id give you a free beer, or whatever else you like from the liquor cabinet on the plane, forget the Prez, he would be a buzz kill. :D

Just for the heck of it, I should compile a list of beers that our politicians drink, I'll start with General Colin Powell, he seamed to have the most reasonable and relaxed approach to this situation
almost like he wanted to say "Relax, have a homebrew" obviously he can't say that on CNN, however we all know what he thinks deep down inside.

Id give you a free beer, or whatever else you like from the liquor cabinet on the plane, forget the Prez, he would be a buzz kill.

Eh dude, I'da had a beer with GWB just 'cause he was the POTUS. Never mind what I really thought about him.

Let this 'issue' die. Please.

It wont, because the idiots involved wont let it. It was a NON issue, the people involved keep perpetuating it. Next year, they will have a beer to celebrate the 1 yr anniversary of this rediculousness.

Obama is going to drink a micro from the "foot in mouth" brewery, called: I shouldn't have said that, what was I thinking?

This stupid thing is getting more play than his healthcare plan, all off an obviously planted question (way to cowtow, media) at the end of a nationally televised press conference.

I'm with Evan! (gasp) on this one. Let it die.

where in the hell would you come up with an idea like that ?

It's feigned naivete used to tie one of his election talking points to the issue. This is not a serious discussion :rolleyes:

I'm with Evan! (gasp) on this one. Let it die.

OK, guys, I don't know who in this thread is actually taking this issue seriously. I know I'm not. But, c'mon. A story about beer and the prez makes national headlines and you expect a forum full of beer snobs not to BS a little (or a lot) about it?

The CEO of Sam Adams stated that he was offended that he would publicly drink such a lesser beer and not take advantage of Sam Adams "grains of parricide". I do slightly agree, but at the same time, why are people more focused at what beer our president drinking when we have bigger problems on hand?

This thread now has a life of it's own, however it has gone a little bit different direction then I intended
I had no intention to talk about these 3 men, nor the other officers who are not even mentioned anywhere, and are not getting a free beer.

If these were just any random people and they had no alternate motives or advisory group that helped them make these choices, hat do you think
these beers would tell you about the person.

If vine sommeliers can tell you a lot about people who made certain vine, in incredible detail, without ever meeting them, could the same be done just other way around?

Obama had to clear choices IMO; Goose Island or Sam Adams. Both very affordable to the average American, both support good business practices, both are 100% American, and both don't suck.

Instead, he chose a mega corporate beer now owned by the Belgians. Boo and hiss says I.

But the serve an American Style of beer, no matter how awful. 80% of people, and probably a larger percentage of total beer sold, is the American Light Lager style, or very similar.

One thing that is nice, is that even with all of the fantastic Craft beer out there, they still have the freedom to choose to drink swill like the common men do!

Back