Need a bunch of recommendations...please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlrose16

Reaction score
OK I'll try to keep this as short as possible...

- I did a Flanders Brown. Primary started two days ago with Sacc. Was intending to secondary with Roselare in glass carboy until tastes right. Then force carb/bottle. Any recommendations at all?

- I did a Saison. I'm gunning for something similar to Boulevard's Brett Saison Primary started today with Sacc. Was planning to secondary with a Brett C culture I've stepped up. Then force carb/bottle. Reco's?

- I will be doing another Flanders Brown but will START with Roselare next time. Intend to make that a 'mother' beer for blending with subsequent batches brewed as noted above. Reco's

- I have some new french oak cubes I want to inoc. with 3 different Brett cultures I have going - should I throw the cultures together and inoc. the cubes all at once or put the cubes in one culture at a time?

- Where's the cheapest/best site to buy a 10g barrel?

THANK YOU!!!

1) depends on how sour you want it, for something sour and funky I really really suggest adding ~0.5# maltodextrin to a first pitching of roeselare, especially if you fermented with sacch first

2) sounds good, just make sure theres some food for the brett to feed on, it might even be beneficial to add a large starter of brett to the beer a bit before the sacch has finished up

3) start with roeselare, make sure the packs fresh, mash very high to ensure lots of food for the bugs, I still suggest adding the malto, Ive found it can really help in sours that are aged in glass

4) your choice, personally I would just freeze the cultures

5) I like vadai for barrels, they are is So Cal, the easiest thing is probably to call them, but they do have a website
http://www.vadaiwinebarrels.com/

They dont have an exactly 10gal barrel, closest is 11gal, although I would suggest spending the extra $10 and getting the 13gal for $170

Back