Harvesting yeast, but pellets in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose1231

Reaction score
Hello, I intend to harvest my yeast for the first time. I normally brew with whole hops, but this time I used pellets. When I transferred the wort in my fermenter, I didn't filter all the pellets and now I can see a 3 inch layer of pellet residue in the bottom. Is there a way to harvest my yeast anyway or I screwed up and I should do a better job on the filtering next time?

Thank you

Depends on how you plan on harvesting the yeast. If you wash it then you will be fine but if you just reuse the yeast cake then depending on how much hop is in the trub it might flavor the next beer weird.

I will wash the yeast. But when I'm gonna pour the trub in my jar to let it settle, won't there be some pellets left in my yeast?

No the hops will settle down to the bottom and then you pour the liquid into another container. The liquid you have poured off will contain enough yeast in suspension that when you plop it in the fridge it will settle out and have enough for a starter.

I just use the yeast cake though since it is simpler for me. When I dump the wort in my fermenter I dump it through a paint strainer bag filtering the hops out. When I transfer into a secondary I leave a couple of cups of beer on the yeast cake and then slosh that around mixing it up real good. I then put the mixed up trub in pint jars and drop them into the fridge. For the beer I make I just grab a pint of yeast and pour it all into the new batch

I pretty much stick with the same beers all the time though so this might not work for you if you change the gravities and colors of the beer much

Yup hops trub will settle. I usually start with a gallon growler, dump the yeast slurry (with trub), and sanitized water. Shake it abit, and set the timer for 15min, the trub will settle. Pour the good yeast (leaving the trub behind) into a 1/2 gallon growler, repeat the process. Then I fill up my mason jars with the now washed yeast, and cap. After acouple days the yeast will settle leaving a layer on the bottom, of the jar.

Yup hops trub will settle. I usually start with a gallon growler, dump the yeast slurry (with trub), and sanitized water. Shake it abit, and set the timer for 15min, the trub will settle. Pour the good yeast (leaving the trub behind) into a 1/2 gallon growler, repeat the process. Then I fill up my mason jars with the now washed yeast, and cap. After acouple days the yeast will settle leaving a layer on the bottom, of the jar.

Nailed it!

Back