My Rye Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
Ok, I have tweaked my Rye Stout Recipe and am now ready to post it for everyones review. This is the first time I have ever attempted to create my own recipe so please be brutally honest and pick it apart and tell me why or why not you think it will work. First let me explain that I have looked over several recipes for Rye stouts on the Internet and they all have one thing in common, they are pretty much just shouts with shaved rye added to it. This was true in all but one recipe I found. I really love the taste of rye and i really want the flavor of the rye to be in the foreground of this beer. That is why I have tried to use Rye as much as possible in this recipe. Any advise as always will be greatly appreciated.

5 Gallon Batch

12 oz Roasted Rye
4 oz Black Patent Malt
4 oz Black Barley
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz CaraRye
2 oz Dark Crystal Malt
8 lbs British Pale Malt Extract
2 oz Kent Golding Hops (Bittering)
2 oz Fuggles Hops (Flavor)
2 oz Willamette Hops (Aroma)
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 package English Ale Yeast
3/4 cup Corn sugar (for priming)

I love rye too, can't wait to hear how it turns out. I've never made a rye stout before, but that sounds pretty tasty. I wonder if you couldnt put more rye in there. Sounds like a lot of hops, but Promash says IBU = 56 which is ok for most stouts.

Is there anything you have to do to the rye to prepare it? Any special temps to extract the fermentables? Where did you get the rye? Is it malted? Sorry, more questions than answer, I guess.

The only other Rye that I might could put in there is maybe some none roasted malted rye. I am going by what my local homebrew store has or can get. Cara-Rye is very simular to Cara-Pils except it is made with rye and I have that in there. The Roasted Rye is not malted, the Cara-Rye is malted. As far as I know, You do not have to do anything special to it, just mash it just like the other grains and sparge it. But I will talk it over with my local homebrew store owner before making my wort.

You can get Cara-Rye and roasted Rye from The Home Brewery (http://www.homebrewery.com/)

They do not have them listed on thier website but if you email them, they will send them to you.

Back