What is eating my Centennials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MayhewMasher

Reaction score
Something is eating the outer leaves of the cones. It makes them look light green, almost white, as the newer leaves are exposed and brownish, as if they are not ready for direct sunlight. I have seen black ants, a brown caterpiller and something tha looks like a bright green leaf with long legs. Any idea what is the cause and how I should treat?

I always thought that my words were worth a thousand pictures... or something like that! Good idea, though this is my first time posting pics. I hope it works. Here is a close up of the cones and I even snapped a pic of the green bug, who was on a nearby pepper plant. Any help or advice will be appreciated. I just dusted them with Sevin.

Bug Damaged Centennial Hops.jpg

Green Bug.jpg

Unless you find a bug on a cone, I would not immediately think it was a bug. Any signs of mildew? What is your watering/fertilizing routine? Maybe the cones are burnt, not eaten.

I have them set up on an automatic daily timer & soaker hose. Additionally, I soak them with water 3-4 days a week in the mornings. I use Miracle Grow every week. I don't think they are burnt because the outer leaves are clearly missing, which is hard to see in the photo.

yes a few of them but I go out every night to check them, they are eating cones.when I find those bugs the cones they were on look like that

Back