Pear juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do it with chopped instead of pressed pears. I make a pear wine by chopping the pears into about 16 pieces each using about 4 pounds per gallon I want to make. I put them in the fermenter as I chop them, sprinkling with 1/4 tsp meta in 1L H2O as I go. Then I put about 1 pound of sugar per gallon on top of that. I dissolve 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme, 1/4 tsp acid blend and about 1/16 tsp of grape tannin in about a half gallon of water per per pound of sugar while heating the water to 170F and pour that into the fermenter. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Add enough water to bring the mixture to 15-25 Brix depending on if you want a table wine or dessert wine. Pitch the yeast on to that and stir the fruit twice a day to keep it wet. When it drops to 5 Brix scoop out the fruit into a mesh bag, drain it into the fermenter and let that settle a couple days. Rack it into a carboy, let it settle and rack it again. Clarify it with gelatin or the product of your choice, age it for 6 months. You can bottle condition it or bottle it still in wine bottles. Very tasty.

Back