No mulch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmanster

Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't have any mulch yet since it hasn't really stopped raining on my days off for me to work in the yard.. I needed to get my rhizomes in the ground and did a 2" layer of poultry compost followed with 3"of gardening soil then the rhizomes with a 2"to 3" layer of gardening soil.. I had forgot to pick up some mulch and it started getting dark and started to rain so I hurried and raked some pine needles out of the front lawn from last year and put a inch layer on top of each one.. Is this ok? The wife called and said it's snowing.. Should I be worried that there getting to wet also. I only got the dirt moist yesterday after planting..

Lol... Trying not too... I did have some bark from last year but it has the weed controller chemical in it and didn't want to take the chance.. Is that stuff ok around hops because it's in the bed where they will hopefully be growing. I just didn't want to put them on top..

Please go over to the 2011 hops garden thread and notice my post on page 5, second post.

My shoots were already exposed and the snow was extremely wet for a day then completely frozen the next. Now everything is going gangbusters.

With hops it is one of those RDWHAHB situations. Everything is fine. Especially since yours are just rhizomes. If anything the water might help. You don't even need mulch at this point unless it is very dry.

i had hop ryzomes in pots under 3' of snow and they are still alive. your fine, go have a beer

The rain and snow stopped for a while last nite so I went and moved some of the needles out from the center so it could dry up a little.. The grass was dry enough so I mowed the lawn and the cream ale went down smooth.. Man that cream of three crops cream ale is the best **** for yard work! I can see myself drinking more and doing yard work less if I can make it last that long...lol trellis is going up this weekend.. Just using sleeved fence posts with a cross wire.. Thanks for the info... Just wasn't sure if the mulch layer was a must at this point and didn't want to use the chemically treated bark..

Back