.25¢ 1 Gallon fermentor - works well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacemanzero

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this being a newbie brewer. I know that to get started with brewing can be a little daunting due to the fact of having to purchase quite a few supplies to start things off. At least with this it can help to offset the cost of the other items. What I have found is a very cheap and reusable fermentor. Go to a Chick-Fil-A and ask them to purchase one (or more) of the bottles they put there tea in to sell to customer. Some times they will just give them away or I have seen them charge .25¢ for each of them. While this is not the only thing you can use for a fermentor it is nice for several reasons. They are crystal clear which makes them better than using regular 1 gallon plastic water jugs, because you can see what is going on inside while fermenting. Here is the best picture I can provide to show an example:

imgres

As you can see, you can see right through the plastic. The next things that makes this a great fermenting vessel, is the fact that is PET. They are very sturdy and get the job done. As you can see from the picture below, there are three jugs. Starting from left the right (glass, chickfila jug, regular plastic water jug) You can see the difference and presentation-wise, the chickfila jug looks nice to have sitting around. I have done several batches using this jug and all have turned out great.

Happy Brewing, or whatever it is you will be doing!:tank:

IMG-20120824-00702.jpg

I can guarantee 100% they are PET. On the bottom it has the recycle sign with a "1" in the middle and says PETE on the bottom. It is better than other water jugs which usually have the "2" and have a tendency to absorb the flavor of whatever they have fermenting inside.

Back