To our Canadian friends..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving! As a Canadian ex-pat, I'll be hoisting a few pumpkin ales and making a pumpkin pie and some turkey this weekend!:mug:

sesame%20street.jpg

I think I'm going to brew a pumpkin ale today. At least the brewwing smells will coincide with the pumpkin pie baing smells.

Though I just got my 3638 yeast in on back order so I'm tempted to brew my ryeizenbock and wait till sometime next week to brew the pumpkin.

Thanksgiving? .........Come on guys, we havn't even had Halloween yet!

Or is it maybe a Canadian thing? If so, don't mind me, I'm just alittle inebrieated:mug:

They have to have it now because in another month their dogs wont go outside to pull the sleds, therefor forcing them to have Thanksgiving alone:cross:

Pumbaa said:
They have to have it now because in another month their dogs wont go outside to pull the sleds, therefor forcing them to have Thanksgiving alone:cross:

Yes, Thanksgiving is today (or is it tomorrow?).

Uh, yeah..dog sleds... Good thing the dogs eat my mash or I'd never be able to afford the dog food.

Yeah, it's our cold cold weather that keeps the excess number of tourists away and helps to keep us from being invaded... So I wouldn't plan on any vactions up here. But if you do come, don't forget your parkas. You can rent dog sleds at the airport.

Here's a neet tidbit of info:

The first and original Thanksgiving comes from Canada. In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Canada. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving, and the first Thanksgiving to have taken place in North America. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies. He was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him - Frobisher Bay.

Latest posts

Back