corney ???? with 2.5 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dapozer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal batch of red headed step child fully fermented and want to bottle 2.5 gallons and put the rest in a corney keg, The corney thing is new to me and wondered if this was ok to do in a 2.5 gallon batch and if i need to do anything special.

Also I intend to sugar carb the bottles and leave sugar out for the corney, right?

Sorry I'm a newbie :)

I'm assuming you will be putting the 2.5 gallons into a 5 gallon corny. This should be fine and people have done this before with no bad consequences. The only difference is the extra head space will require more CO2 to purge it. In other words you will want to pull the relief valve on the keg for a longer time in order to purge the extra space. Other than this it will make no difference.

+1 on the purging. You can prime in a keg in you like though. I like priming my hefe in the keg b/c of the added yeast content.

Back