Brew Day Emergency -- Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my batch essentially perfectly. It is sitting in the keggle and I am just about to finish whirlpool -- the temp is in the mid 70's.

My Gravity was about 6 points off what I was expecting (Expected OG = 1.070, I have 1.064 right now).

So I'm sitting here cussing at myself and I realize...oh ****, I forgot the sugar. I was supposed to put 1 pound of sugar in this recipe to help the attenuation (Belgian Saison).

Can I put in the sugar straight into the fermenter or does it need to boil?

I'm figuring I have three options:

1) Forget the sugar and hope it turns out ok.
2) Put the sugar in the carboy, shake well.
3) Bring the keggle back up to a boil and add sugar, boil for 10 minutes, and then re drop temperature.

Thoughts? I'm going to decide what to do at 5:00pm EST.

I usually add sugar to belgians as the fermentation slows, this seems to give the yeast a little extra kick and gives me really good attenuation. wait 3 or 4 days, boil up a cup or 2 of water and add the cooled sugar water when the krausen starts to drop. Works great. There is some science behind that method, I think in Brew like a monk, they say that if the yeast become accustomed to eating simple sugars, they may turn up their nose at Maltose and not finish very well, for that reason, let them get accustomed to maltose, then give them the easy stuff near the end of their marathon.

****, that makes sense. I started making simple syrup...now I need to decide if I want to put it in now or just make another batch in 4 days....

Back