IPA Recipe - Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_C

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice hoppy IPA but not a hop bomb. Let me know what you think of the below. Open to any suggestions/changes to grain bill or hops. Thanks!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs California ale
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 67
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

11 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Cascade [7.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.50 oz Cascade [7.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Dry hop with 1 oz each of chinook, cascade, and williamette.

just wondering... what is your mash schedule?

as for not a hop bomb, i would take down the dry hops to about .5 oz a piece.

good luck.

I think "hop bomb" was meant in terms of not wanting the harsh bitterness...

Mash at 152 F.

20-30 IBUs Chinook - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade - Boil 5.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade @ Whirlpool / Aroma Steep
0.75 oz Chinook @ Whirlpool / Aroma Steep

Dry hop with 3 oz. mixed chinook & cascade for 7 days. I wouldn't use Willamette for an AIPA. It's earthy/herbal and will throw off the beauty of the C-hops IMO... but Lagunitas is known to use Willamette and Santiam on occasion.

I highly advise against the Crystal 80. Use C40 or lower. Add a touch of Munich if you want some added malt character.

Cara-Pils is a caramel malt as well, so you should cut back on the caramel malts here... also, I might suggest 2 oz of Willamette at the 5 min mark, rather than one at 15, one at 5. Otherwise, looks like a good recipe

Cara-Pils is a caramel malt as well, so you should cut back on the caramel malts here...

4% carapils and 4% caramel malt is not odd in an All-Grain IPA. In fact, it's quite common. Carapils does not add a toasty sweetness like caramel malt does. Carapils is mainly for body and head retention.

I think "hop bomb" was meant in terms of not wanting the harsh bitterness...

Mash at 152 F.

20-30 IBUs Chinook - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade - Boil 5.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade @ Whirlpool / Aroma Steep
0.75 oz Chinook @ Whirlpool / Aroma Steep

I highly advise against the Crystal 80. Use C40 or lower. Add a touch of Munich if you want some added malt character.

Thanks bob, I think you understand what I'm going for. I will replace the crystal 80 with crystal 40 (had some extra crystal 80 on hand, so I was being lazy). I like your hop schedule and I have a couple questions about it:

If I use 0.60oz of Chinook at 60min, that's 30 IBUs from Chinook, which gives me a total of 37 IBUs (using Beersmith). In AIPA style guideline, Beersmith says 40-70 IBUs. So won't I be a little low on IBUs? To be clear, I like bitterness in my beers. I'm looking for medium bitterness in this recipe (as far as IPAs go). Should I up the 60min amount? I think I've read people complaining of a harsh bitterness from Chinook?

Also, I am looking for some earthy/piney notes in this beer. Will the Chinook do that for me? I've been making a lot of cascade and amarillo APAs (very tasty!), but am looking for an IPA that will have more balance to those citrus notes.

Really appreciate the help. I've just got my brewing system/process really dialed-in, and am now moving on to the fun stuff, recipe formulation!

Oops, throw an equal amount of Chinook in with the 10 and 5 Cascade additions. Must have neglected to incorporate the late Chinook the first go around.

Chinook will offer piney notes. Not so much earthy. Use some Willamette then... equal portions of all three hops at 10, 5, 0, and I also forgot the dryhop!! Very important for an IPA. I go with a minimum of 0.50 oz. pellet dryhops per gallon of standard IPA.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to use the chinook/cascade combo. My recipe is giving me 52 IBUs. I'll dry hop with 3oz. :mug:

Back