gelatin or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I brewed a pumkin porter and forced kegged after one month in fermenter.
Brew is extremely cloudly. Would gelatin help. Can I add it directly to keg or should I move beer to secondary then add gelatin and set in secondary for how many days? Help

Homebrewed pumpkin beers are usually at least somewhat cloudy from the pumpkin starches and the vegetable matter. If the cloudiness offends you, I would suggest fining, either in the secondary or in a keg with a cut diptube. I am not sure how effective gelatin will be on "pumpkin haze". Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, you can always re-fine with something else.

I forgot - you can also add some amylase to convert some of the starches into sugars, which will change the flavor somewhat, but should also clear up the starch haze.

Gelatin will help in the keg, but obviously all the sediment will remain in the keg. Not a big deal if you don't move the keg around.

I had an Irish Red that was pretty cloudy in the keg, so I used gelatin and it was great. When I finally cleaned the keg out, it was NASTY sludgy on the bottom. But clear beer is nice!

crash cooling the keg might help some too, just purge the fallout in a separate glass the first time you wanna drink from the keg.

Back