Top Cropping Wheat Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have been reading about top cropping wheat yeast. Some of the yeast, maybe the best part, is going out the blowoff tube and being lost. The yeast that settles is only part of the yeast.

What if you use fermcap, and not need a blowoff? All the yeast will still be in the fermenter. A slight cold crash will make a lot of it settle.

When kegging/bottling, some yeast can be purposely sucked into the keg/bottling bucket, leaving the bulk to be harvested and washed.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

:confused:

I've got similar questions. I'll be doing my first hefe this weekend. Due to an out of stock of Wyeast 3068, I'll use one smack pack of 3068 and one tube of WLP300. With concerns about excessive blowoff, I was thinking about splitting my 10 gallons into 3 carbouys (5 gallon carboys).

Since I'd like to compare the differences between the yeasts, now I'd be up to 4 carboys, which I could still do.

Is the blowoff really excessive and worth the trouble? If it saves me a 1/2 gallon of beer, it'd be worth it to me.

Also, with so much yeast suspended, is it worth harvesting?

Back