question about maintaining temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeyakid

Reaction score
ok guys so i was thinking about putting everything set up in my closet, the problem is, its 74-75 degress in there, if i put in a fan in there at all times do you think it would cool off enough to ferment. also what is the ideal ferment temperature have to be is 75 way to high? thanks again guys

Yup, swamp cooler works amazingly well. You're shooting for mid to low 60s. At least try to keep it below 70. Keep in mind fermentation produces heat, so if you're at 70 ambient, your beer could be 5-10 degrees higher.

Try wrapping your carboy or bucket in a towel and it keep it damn. I do this on my carboys and it seems to work well and it acts like a swamp cooler. You just want to make sure the towels stay damp.

A "Swamp Cooler" can be a very cheap contraption. Just need some cheap plastic bin or another from Wal-Mart or whatever that is big enough to hold your fermenter, followed by old t-shirts to drape over said fermenter and wick up the cool water from the bottom of the cooler, plus fan. Ice packs are a bonus item in extreme circumstances.

Do you have a utility sink? I used that on one of my first brews. Otherwise, as Daybis said, even just a wet towel will work quite well. Whenever it starts drying out just re-soak it with cold water.

Try wrapping your carboy or bucket in a towel and it keep it damn. I do this on my carboys and it seems to work well and it acts like a swamp cooler. You just want to make sure the towels stay damp.

what temp does it keep it at with this wraped around it? i might actually try it and how long will it stay cooled for?? 6 hours??? plus would a fan blowing on it also help? also how do u keep track of the temperature then, should i be scared it will get to cold...also how much degrees will it loweer the temperature by my rooms at like 73.9 so if i could get it down 3 degrees i would imagine that would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77
a rubbermaid bucket costs like $10. better to spend $10 now than waste $25 on every kit you brew.
alittle confused what would i uy rubermaid buckets for?

If your humidity is how, a wet towel+ fan is fine. I can get my beer to stay at 62F that way, but I live in San Diego. If your air isn't dry, this method won't work. Guess you'll just have to drop the big bucks on a $7 muck bucket.

alittle confused what would i uy rubermaid buckets for?

When NordeastBrewer77 said to search these forums for swamp cooler, this is what he was talking about. Not like a swamp cooler for your house... A swamp cooler is just a bucket you put water in and then maybe add a towel or two.

Seriously, use the search function in the forum and you will see LOTS of threads discussing "swamp coolers".

oh alright that cleared alot of things up i actually looked for "swamp coolers" online and all this crazy priced stuff came up you guys are really helping me out tho thanks for clearing everything up

oh alright that cleared alot of things up i actually looked for "swamp coolers" online and all this crazy priced stuff came up you guys are really helping me out tho thanks for clearing everything up

no, i meant search on this forum.... our swamp coolers are different from the ones used to cool garages and such! that's why i thought you were silly for not wanting to set one up. it's an easy thing, big bucket full of water you can heat or cool to your fermentation temp. one of the best $10 (well $30, i have three) i've spent on brewing! :mug:

yooper, sorry for the snotty post you had to delete, i didn't realize the OP misunderstood what we meant by swamp cooler. i thought he meant a rubber maid tote was too much to buy.

Ice chest, Igloo, Rubbermaid, Coleman...

Large enough for your fermenter. Fill with water, creating a stable bath.
freeze several water bottles, swap out as needed, floating in the "bath" to keep temps under control.

WallyWorld sells indoor/outdoor thermometers pretty cheap - they have weatherproof probes for the "outdoor" part - drop that into the bath and you'll have a good idea of the wort temps, as a water bath method is very efficient at removing heat from the fermenter.

Shoot for the low end of your yeast manufacturer's suggested range for that strain of yeast.

The first several days (Active Phase) will raise the temps inside the fermenter SIGNIFICANTLY if not kept under control. - like 5-10F easy. Some have reported even 15F. You don't really want those conditions if you can avoid them. Your beer will be much better for it.

Back