Force carbing at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
Is there any reason you cant force carb at room temperature? I know it would take a higher pressure setting and probably more time but is there anything else? I would like to have my kegs carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

Is there any reason you cant force carb at room temperature? I know it would take a higher pressure setting and probably more time but is there anything else? I would like to have my kegs carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

Nope, you got the only two reasons why cooler temps are better. Room temp will work just fine.

Thanks. I like to condition my beer at room temp for a couple weeks after I put it in the keg. I am going to pick up a second regulator and tank tomorrow. It will be nice having the beer carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

Thanks. I like to condition my beer at room temp for a couple weeks after I put it in the keg. I am going to pick up a second regulator and tank tomorrow. It will be nice having the beer carbed and ready to go when I put them in the kegerator.

I wonder if the high pressures required for forcecarbing at room temps won't substantially inhibit the yeasts conditioning action. I hope that someone who has tried it will chime in.

I am considering priming my kegs at room temps for 3wks or so to get the carb and conditioning effects. Then toss them in the fridge and load them with dispensing pressure.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

I just started kegging but have done this on my first 2 kegged batches. I just hit it with 23psi at room temp for a couple of weeks and then purge and set to 12 when it goes in the keezer. I'm not sure what the effects of the pressure are on the yeast (this would be a good experiment), but both beers have turned out great.

I don't for certain have the answer to the pressure effects on yeast question, but here's my thinking: We prime bottles with dextrose, the bottles carbonate, and the beer continues to age and change for months/years, under pressure, in the bottle. So, carbonating a keg and storing at room/cellar temperature would essentially have the same effect (or lack thereof) on the yeast/beer, but with a larger volume of liquid.

Back