Will the dextrose taste ever dissipate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akavango

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to home brewing but have already bottle about 10 batches. The first three I used coopers drops to carbonate the beer but for the other I have used dextrose.

I have used a carbonation calculator http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13900079#tag to make sure I don't over do it with the dextrose.

I have found now after having tasted beer carbonated with coopers and dextrose that the one with corn sugar have this overpowering taste that cover the taste of the beer. I didn't have this problem with the coopers drops.

The oldest one I carbonated with dextrose is just over 2 months and the taste is very present. I cannot recognize the beer I put in the bootle.

Will that dextrose taste ever dissipate or this is it?
In the meant time I have gone back to coopers drops.

If you primed with the right amount of dextrose by weight,it's not the dextrose causing the problem. It ferments out clean,especially in two months time. If it carbonated fully,then it might be bringing out an off flavor you wouldn't notice till the bubbles bring it out for you to smell/taste.
Cooper's drops are sucrose (table sugar),while dextrose is corn sugar. It won't create off flavors in & of itself. Sounds like it may be bring out an off flavor from temp related issues.
What styles of beers have the problem? How much priming sugar did you use? Does your priming calculator go by BJCP recognized styles?

Dextrose is a fermentable sugar, so if you added it each bottle it will get pretty close to 100% fermented into alcohol and CO2 given enough time. Depending on the ABV content of the beer, it should take anywhere from 3 weeks (low to medium ABV) to 2-3 months (high ABV, like 8-10+) at 70 degrees for the dextose to be completely consumed and converted.

I doubt dextrose is really adding the flavor, though, unless you are literally only giving these a week or so to carb and condition. Given that you gave it 2 months to carb, the dextrose should be LONG gone.

Can you describe the flavor? Is it literally sweet/sugary?

to 2-3 months (high ABV, like 8-10+) at 70 degrees for the dextose to be completely consumed and converted.

I doubt dextrose is really adding the flavor, though, unless you are literally only giving these a week or so to carb and condition. Given that you gave it 2 months to carb, the dextrose should be LONG gone.

Can you describe the flavor? Is it literally sweet/sugary?

It is a really sweet taste kind of like sweet and low but less chemical. I do brew high ABV Belgian style beer and it is not 70 in my apartment.

I actually did an experiment with a beer, carbonate half with coopers and the other half with dextrose. The half with coopers come out great and the other half had this taste i have been referring too. So I don't think it an error from my side.

I guess i should be more patient.

Thank you both for the answers.

I was just remembering back to when I used cooper's carb drops during the winter. The room was a bit chilly at times,but I think the carb drops may not be as effected by the cool temps as dextrose.? And big beers usually take longer to carb/condition to start with.

I'm in ireland it is always winter here. Last summer was great it was a Tuesday...

I guess I will stick to cooper drops for now and wait and see with the other beers.
Thanks

I was just remembering back to when I used cooper's carb drops during the winter. The room was a bit chilly at times,but I think the carb drops may not be as effected by the cool temps as dextrose.? And big beers usually take longer to carb/condition to start with.

Wait, cooler temps for carbing with corn sugar can lead to off flavours? Warmer temps are better for this?

Like, the difference between 67* and 72*?

I used dextrose for priming for many years and over time was able to recognize an off flavor that it took a long time to identify. I finally began using DME for priming and have never had the problem again....Just my $.02.

The OP felt his off flavors were coming from the dextrose vs cooper's carb drops. I was trying to remember/rationalize why this might be from personal experience. The carb drops do tend to over-carbonate at about 7 weeks from my findings. Dextrose was def better,& I think it was my IPA that fully carbed in 10 or 11 days.
I felt it wasn't the dextrose causing the problem,as I don't get any of that. Maybe a goodly amount of dextrose was used in the beer's recipe?

Could be that OP has a taste sensitivity to an enzyme released by the yeast to break down dextrose. I don't really see how that could be the case because sucrose requires more effort to break down, thus more enzymatic activity from the yeast.

Back