Blichmann boil screen for pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
So it looks like there will be some news on this front within a week. I sent blichmann the following email.
I was wondering what you suggest I do to reduce the ammount of hops that end up in my fermenter. I use pellet hops in my brewing process. I have a 10 gallon pot and try my best to whirlpool. It is hard as the thermometer and dip tube protrude into the pot. I was looking at your hop screen but it says it does not work with pellet hops. What do you suggest I do? I also heard rumors that you are currently working on this issue. Satisfied Customer, John Coutts
his response was as follows:
Rumors confirmed. Should be making an announcement to my retailers next week.

looks like my next brew will be hop free going into the fermenter :D

looks like my next brew will be hop free going into the fermenter :D

Trust me, it's a beautiful thing.

photo-4-1.jpg

Over a pound of combined pellet/leaf on this run

photo-7.jpg

Here was the funnel

photo-8.jpg

I love when the wort flows free

Is that a two stage filter there? It looks like a hop bag down the center, then some sort of false bottom/screen for the whole hops as they are outside of the bag.

For sale: VINTAGE! Blichmann boil screen doohickey. No longer made! Soon to be COLLECTABLE! Never used in original box.

I've been thinking of yanking those screens off of it and clamping them (with a zip-tie) onto the long dip tubes in a couple of cornys, for dryhopping. Yea, that was worth $40.

+1, that's a tiny surface area for hops to be in.

They still get thoroughly soaked throughout the boil. You detractors can criticize all you want but it works. To make good use of the hops at the top of the column, I recirced boiling wort at a very slow rate into the top to improve efficiency.

I've never had a more fragrant wort. I can't wait for this to finish up so I can get to drinking.

First of all, thanks for the props.

No, the hop bag is the pellet hop filter. It clamps to the stainless support tube so all you do is throw the pellets in the tube and they are kept out of the boil, yet are immersed in the boil. It is not an original design as some people have been doing the same with PVC and all thread for quite some time. However, I'm not into PVC so I went with 304 stainless. Some people diss the hop bag and perhaps rightfully so based on their preferences/experiences. Personally, I'd rather keep using my hop stopper but it clogged on me three times so three strikes and you're out in my game.

So far this setup has been flawless and I've had free flowing wort out of the kettle, through my Therminator and into the carboy. The proof is in the pudding and the funnel in my last pic shows it all. That was taken after I ran 5.5 gallons of wort into my carboy after boiling with over 10 ounces of pellet hops and 9 ounces of leaf hops. Some seem concerned that hop utilization may be suffering and perhaps this is the case to some degree. However, I'm definitely pleased as the aromas coming from my DIPA now are very pungent. Can't wait to try it.

John Blichmann claims to have something show stopping and I look forward to his setup when it gets shown. Hell I may even buy one. I have enough of his stuff, it's not like I'm a hater. He makes good schit.

First of all, thanks for the props.

No, the hop bag is the pellet hop filter.......

....So far this setup has been flawless and I've had free flowing wort out of the kettle, through my Therminator and into the carboy. The proof is in the pudding and the funnel in my last pic shows it all. That was taken after I ran 5.5 gallons of wort into my carboy after boiling with over 10 ounces of pellet hops and 9 ounces of leaf hops. .

Thats where I got confused. I thought that was part of your hop bag somehow! That is pretty awesome. I have one made from PVC and strainer bag and just purchased the Therminator so I will definitely give this a try. Thanks again.

Emailed John at Blichmann and as always he responded within the hour. I asked about any new info on the new screens and this was his reply:

Just got them today. I will make an announcement to my retailers this weekend….

Hope its worth the wait!

just received this email from john today
Just announced the HopBlocker boil kettle filtration system to my retailers. Be patient – the retailers just found out today as well so it’ll be a few days before they get up to speed on the product and begin placing orders for inventory.

We’ll be adding pics and details to our web later this week as well.

i cant wait to see this thing :D

Here's a couple of pics that he sent.
I'm waiting for the explanation of the piles :)

HopBlocker_web.jpg

HopBlocker_med.jpg

Also sent him this link. Maybe he'll pop in with a few comments.

Here's a couple of pics that he sent.
I'm waiting for the explanation of the piles :)

HopBlocker_web.jpg

HopBlocker_med.jpg

Also sent him this link. Maybe he'll pop in with a few comments.

huh, wonder how the hell that thing works. I really hope its not just a glorified hop bag

So is this suppose to somehow connect to the diptube? Maybe it does connect to the diptube horizontally and the hook on it, and the hook supports it from the bottom. Just a guess. I have no clue.

Your diptube goes through the side and then snaps into the kettle as usual.
It sits just like in that pic, in the kettle.

Ahhh. So it "snaps" into the kettle some how?

Blichman dip tubes SNAP in and out, that is what he is referring to. No tools needed on thier dip tubes.

I dont know if I can use this, my SS coil in the BK may interfere...

Back