Questions involving evaporation/LME/Bazooka screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckylou

Reaction score
I'm going to be having my first brew day tomorrow and did a test run on my kit today to check for my evaporation level, during my test I had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer :D kinda long so I apologize

1) I turned on my outdoor burner, put my 15gal stainless steel kettle on top and added 3 gallons to get a partial boil before adding the remainder 2 gallons. It took me roughly a little more than 30 min to get those 3 gals to a small boil before topping off to 5 gal. Once it got to a boil I started my timer for 60min and watched. At the remaining 10 min of the boil, I added my wort chiller to sanitize it (remember this is just a simulation haha to better prepare myself, so theres just water in the kettle for now).

I got my "wort" temp to below 80*F and then I measured to see how much water I lost. The result was a bit surprising, I had lost about 2 gallon and 1 quart. Does that seem right? Maybe I boiled too long? This would mean I would need to add about 7 and a half gallons preboil to have a good 5 gal batch of wort?

2) Another question I had was: I have a bazooka screen attached to the inside bottom of my kettle to a ball valve. I've read that, so far, I should add my 5 gal of water to my kettle, get it to a small boil, turn off the heat then add my liquid malt extract then turn it back up. Question is Would the malt get stuck to the Bazooka screen? Should I just pour it onto the side of the screen and stir?

3) And last but not least, my last questions: I plan on cleaning most of my equipment (not my SS kettle) with Oxiclean. I couldn't find the non sented but picked up a box of Oxiclean Versatile, is this ok?

4) And as far as a Star San solution, I get 5 gal of water and add an ounce of San to dilute right?

Thanks guys, again sorry for making such a wall of text but needed to get this stuff off my chest xD I feel like if I brew a terrible batch I would never forgive myself lol so again thanks and cheers! :mug:

1) You probably had the burner turned up and were boiling too hard. You only need a "rolling boil". For your first brew, if you end up with less than 5 gallons then add some pre-boiled water to bring it back to 5 gallons. Turn your burner down a little bit the next time.

2) Yes it's possible. Eventually it would all dissolve into the wort so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you turn off the burner and stir very well while you're adding it.

3) I would try to find some Oxyclean Free although I'm not familiar with the Versatile. Also, you can clean your SS kettle with Oxyclean. Just make sure you flush it with a lot of water to remove the residue.

4) There is no need to make 5 gallons of Star San for a batch of beer. I usually make 2 gallons but even that is wasting it (I'm lazy). If you don't mind transferring it back and forth you could get away with one. My recommendation for your first brew is to make two gallons and see if that's enough for you. You can always make more. Just ratio the amount of Star San to water ( 1/5 oz per gallon. 2/5 oz per 2 gallon etc)

1) You probably had the burner turned up and were boiling too hard. You only need a "rolling boil". For your first brew, if you end up with less than 5 gallons then add some pre-boiled water to bring it back to 5 gallons. Turn your burner down a little bit the next time.

2) Yes it's possible. Eventually it would all dissolve into the wort so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you turn off the burner and stir very well while you're adding it.

3) I would try to find some Oxyclean Free although I'm not familiar with the Versatile. Also, you can clean your SS kettle with Oxyclean. Just make sure you flush it with a lot of water to remove the residue.

4) There is no need to make 5 gallons of Star San for a batch of beer. I usually make 2 gallons but even that is wasting it (I'm lazy). If you don't mind transferring it back and forth you could get away with one. My recommendation for your first brew is to make two gallons and see if that's enough for you. You can always make more. Just ratio the amount of Star San to water ( 1/5 oz per gallon. 2/5 oz per 2 gallon etc)

Thanks for the quick feedback Ryush806! I did have the heat up quite a bit. Should I start off with 3 gallons of water, get that to a small boil, then add the 2 gal like I did or should I just dump the 5 gal in and get it to that rolling boil?

Luckylou said:
Thanks for the quick feedback Ryush806! I did have the heat up quite a bit. Should I start off with 3 gallons of water, get that to a small boil, then add the 2 gal like I did or should I just dump the 5 gal in and get it to that rolling boil?

Not sure what your reasoning is for that method but I don't see why it'd matter either way.

Just start with the full volume since your kettle is big enough. I usually start with at least 6 gals because 1 gal boils off during the hour.

Not sure what your reasoning is for that method but I don't see why it'd matter either way.

I was told this would get a boil going quicker, due to smaller volume? I'll just start with full volume, get to a boil, extinguish the heat and add my malt, turn it back on to a boil add hops lower flame and pray for the best! Thanks guys and wish me luck!

Luckylou said:
I was told this would get a boil going quicker, due to smaller volume? I'll just start with full volume, get to a boil, extinguish the heat and add my malt, turn it back on to a boil add hops lower flame and pray for the best! Thanks guys and wish me luck!

Yeah the smaller volume will come to a boil quicker. But then you add the other water and its no longer boiling so you have to heat it all back up again.

Good luck!

Back