Refractometer is the most useful brewing tool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Drunk

Reaction score
I recently read in a thread on here that a refractometer was the most useful tool a brewer can have. SWMBO recently got me one as a present but I've only found it useful to take OG. After fermentation starts its useless as the alcohol throws off the readings. Is there something I'm missing in the value of it?

It's good for taking readings during the mash process, to make sure you don't drop below 1.010 and risk extract tannins. You can also take your pre-boil gravity. I don't think it's the MOST useful tool in the kit, but I'm damn glad I have mine.

It's fantastic to dial in your all grain brewing process. If you have to pull samples and cool them to see how you're doing on your extraction - you're too late to fix things.

Not super useful for extract brewing - math works just fine there, but I wouldn't want to do all grain batches without mine.

The alcohol does affect the reading of your FG, what you are measuring is Apparent Attenuation, which gives you a rough but not exact measure of how much alcohol is in your beer, when compared with your OG. It doesn't tell you exactly how much alcohol is in the beer, but its pretty darn close, and I think more precise ABV measurements would require a lab with some fancy equipment.

Its also useful to know when your fermentation has stopped. Once the gravity levels out for a few days you know fermentation is complete and your ready to bottle or keg your beer.

EDIT!!!: Im an Idiot, I thought I read Hydrometer. My refractometer is a frustrating piece of equipment and i rarely use it. Forget everything I just said

I've only found it useful to take OG. After fermentation starts its useless as the alcohol throws off the readings.

I never thought it to be worthwhile to spend $50-70 on a tool that only works half of the time. Hydrometer, thermometer and temp. correction chart work every time.

AmandaK said:
I never thought it to be worthwhile to spend $50-70 on a tool that only works half of the time. Hydrometer, thermometer and temp. correction chart work every time.

+1
I don't use one and don't ever miss not having one either:)

+1
I don't use one and don't ever miss not having one either:)

how do you know you don't miss it? :)

I dunno, it's really great to be able to instantly track gravities. It means as I collect wort I can immediately adjust collection volumes and hit my pre and post boil gravity every batch.

Yeah it ain't that great. Even for OG I keep going back to my hydrometer. There is always plenty of wort left behind to use for that purpose after draining the kettle.

WOW! I'm surprised by the number of folks who don't find them useful. They work for ALL readings and VERY fast.

I, on the other hand, love my refract. I simply use a conversion calculator for brix in the presence of alcohol based on OG. It works flawlessly. I'm able to get readings using a couple drops of liquid which makes pulling a sample for testing a trivial task (dip a racking cane, finger over other end, remove cane, replace airlock).

Yeah it ain't that great. Even for OG I keep going back to my hydrometer. There is always plenty of wort left behind to use for that purpose after draining the kettle.

So what do you do if your batch was under gravity? I collect slightly less volume or boil longer and I'm right on.

I like the refractometer to tell me if my beers done fermenting. I can check it several days in a row to see if it's changing. It doesn't matter what the reading is, only whether it's the same as the day(s) before. The refractometer allows you to just take a small sample rather than a test jar full each time. I still measure final gravity with a hydrometer.

Using a formula, you can get an idea where your beer is at. This could be useful to give you an idea when to start a diacetyl rest.

The main advantage to the refractometer is the small sample size required. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't bother with it.

I'm surprised anyone would brew AG without a refractometer. Taking quick readings during the sparge is a must in my book. And as many have said, you can pull the slightest of samples to check if fermentation is done. I worked hard to brew the beer, I'm not going to pour a few graduated cylinders worth down the drain (or down my gullet) before it's ready!

I love mine. I take several readings - first runnings, during the sparge, pre-boil gravity, mid-boil gravity, OG. For the cost of 4 drops and 30 seconds, I figure more data is a good thing.

But I also use it post-fermentation with software to correct it. I (and a huge number of others) have found that with good correction software and good records, it's just as accurate as a hydrometer, and a heck of a lot easier.

I recently read in a thread on here that a refractometer was the most useful tool a brewer can have. SWMBO recently got me one as a present but I've only found it useful to take OG. After fermentation starts its useless as the alcohol throws off the readings. Is there something I'm missing in the value of it?

Here is a easy way to decide for yourself. When you are checking gravity on fermenting wort with your hydrometer put a couple drops from your tube on a refractometer, use the calculators available online or in Beersmith and compare it to your hydrometer reading. This way you waste nothing and it only takes a minute.

Nice to have, but FAR from the most useful tool. Assuming a hydrometer is in your tool box already.

My list would be....

Top of the line thermometer
Auto Siphon
Carboy/keg cleaning brush(the kind that mounts to a drill)
Better bottle rather than glass carboy
Press style bottle capper rather than the wing type(If you bottle)
Vinator to sanitize bottles

brycelarson said:
how do you know you don't miss it? :)

I dunno, it's really great to be able to instantly track gravities. It means as I collect wort I can immediately adjust collection volumes and hit my pre and post boil gravity every batch.

I suppose because I have doing AG long enough on my same set up that everything is dialed in.

Honestly, if my mash/latter is off by a bit I really don't worry about it much, my system set up operates at 82% and if something is off its easy to make up

So what do you do if your batch was under gravity? I collect slightly less volume or boil longer and I'm right on.
Over time I have gotten my numbers down for my brew setup and it rarely deviates all that much. If I am a couple of gravity points up or down I don't lose sleep. As others have stated I use it during fermentation so I only have to take a very small amount and in general once the reading stops changing then yes thats a good sign fermentation has stopped. Maybe mine is a lemon but even using all the correction spreadsheets it is not very good at all for getting a final gravity. For that I always have to pull out the hydrometer.

I love mine. I take several readings - first runnings, during the sparge, pre-boil gravity, mid-boil gravity, OG. For the cost of 4 drops and 30 seconds, I figure more data is a good thing.

But I also use it post-fermentation with software to correct it. I (and a huge number of others) have found that with good correction software and good records, it's just as accurate as a hydrometer, and a heck of a lot easier.

Well said, I 2nd. I love mine. And I get to use the term Brix, even though it gives both readings. My last brew was 17brix OG and I take readings with the drops that roll off a knife.

Brewing tools are relative to the needs of the brewer. I love my refractometer, and use it many times throughout the brew day and fermentation. I use an iPhone app called BrixCalc that adjusts for alcohol while fermenting. It's much easier to use and I just pull a few drops from my Ferminator valve.

As far as the best tool in my brewery, I'd say it's my convoluted chiller. Chilling an entire 12 gallons of beer to under 65 degrees in a matter of minutes can't be beat. But again, it's relative to the brewer.

IMO, every brewer should try a refractometer. They are just really handy, but I wouldn't say it's a requirement.

I've been using refractometers for well over a year and can't see ever using a hydrometer ever again. I still have my original one, but don't know for how much longer.

As already mentioned, with decent software, you can easily adjust for the presence of alcohol in the fermentation. The fact that you need less than 1ml of solution to get a reading is one of the bigger reasons to have/use one. Plus there's no worry about bubbles throwing the reading off, like it will with a hydrometer. Also, hydrometers have a track record of having the paper inside slip, throwing the readings off. There's enough threads/posts about that happening to make you want to triple check the things often. You also don't need to worry about foam on the top of the sample obscuring the readings, like you do with a hydrometer. Then there's how the damned hydrometers tend to tilt so easily and touch the side of the sample tube. IMO/IME, hydrometers are MORE of a PITA than refractometers will ever be...

For me, I reserve a sample from the brew day in a 4 dram vial (I put it into the fridge). I take a reading from that at some point before the batch is done. Sometimes that day, sometimes weeks later. I also put a sample into a second vial when I've finished moving the beer to serving kegs. With both Brix numbers, I can get the SG numbers of the batch.

BTW, there's a huge thread about people having had their hydrometers break. Rolling off counters, tables, etc. I've never heard of a refractometer rolling anywhere. Maybe it's because they're designed so that they won't. :eek:

I guess I'll have to mention then... CHEAP tools (of any kind) are always suspect. Good tools are far better (and very often cost just a little more). Great tools should be used where accuracy and reliability matters most. IMO/IME, refractometers are one case where you should avoid cheap, and go with at least 'good' quality if not better. My initial refractometer was ok, but (IMO) a bit too cheap. The one I have isn't being sold by the vendor anymore (I believe they've gotten a better one since mine). I did go ahead and purchase great refractometers that are reliable and accurate.

If you're going to go for a refractometer, research the one you're looking at to make sure you're not getting one of the cheap models.

I really don't feel like keeping an eye on a hydrometer, or worrying about it rolling/falling/breaking/etc. I also don't want to have to have at least a couple in reserve for when that happens (not if). Then there's the glass cleanup that you need to do. I'll pass on all of that and keep using my refractometers. :D

Refractometers are not always accurate. I don't have the energy to go through this again, so please refer to this post I made a few days ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/who-do-you-trust-hydrometer-refractometer-376738/#post4722121

I don't have the energy to argue this because every thread is the same. That is why I simply recommend that each person checks for themselves and decide if any error is acceptable to them. If you own a refractometer and you only use it to check OG and use a hydrometer for FG. Take a couple drops from the hydrometer tube and test with your refractometer, and compare the results with your own equipment.

I suppose you don't worry about sanitizing when you take a sample for a refractometer. If you id you would have to wait till it dried or the sanitizer can throw off your reading.

I love my cheap refractometer. I use it for everything.
I don't have the energy to argue about it, but personally, I couldn't imagine AG brewing without one.
It does what I need it to do, and it's actually pretty accurate.

On brew day the refractometer is gold. Have fun cleaning that sticky crap out of your hydro tubes and throwing it down the drain.:cross:

I use a small spoon and scoop a little after mash and again after transfer. I just sit it on the counter to cool for a few minutes. makes a hell of a mess into an easy process and next to no waste.

When did everybody run out of energy to post their point, but they still have enough energy to post that they have no energy? I'm sure Al Gore has something to do with it...

I have one of those cheap refractometers, I supposed I am just lucky because mine has been accurate with my hydrometer from day one.

Back