Making a wheat beer-forgot to order rice hulls will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Just like the extremely long title says. I ordered my stuff and received it today, hope to brew tomorrow, but realize I forgot to order rice hulls. I'm brewing:
3# torrified wheat
3# 2-row
4 oz crystal 40

Will it stick? Should I wait till I can get some rice hulls here next week?
Also what temp and how long for a protein rest? I was thinking 127 for 10-12 mins.

Thanks,
Phillip

I do a similar grist with my wheat beers and never have had a problem with sparging. Personally I wouldn't worry about the rice hulls. From what I have read torrified wheat doesn't require a protein rest, but the few times I have used it I lose about 5% efficiency. I think a normal protein rest is about 122-125f but I would wait for more experienced wheat beer brewers to chime in.

Edit:127f is probably okay. I would probably do it longer, though. Maybe 20 to 30 mins.

Thanks DB, that's encouraging to hear. When I go out to pick up water in the AM I figured I drop by the hardware store to pickup a paint strainer bag just in case.

Only time my wheat got stuck was when I used a pump. Gravity fed, nice and slow, wont be an issue. I have never used hulls.

I make a lot of wheat beers. Using a cooler mash tun with a stainless mesh filter from a water supply line, I've never had a stuck mash. I used rice hulls the first 2 times, but never since. I had a rye heavy grist stick once during first runnings (batch sparge), but it was easily cleared by holding the drain tube upright and blowing into it for a second, all good after that.

Back