Increasing alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markven

Reaction score
I usually add a 1kg bag of malt/ dextrose mix to my wort to increase the alcohol content, are there other advantages to adding this? Or could I simply add sugar to save money, and get the same result? I'm using a fresh wort from my local brewery, this comes in a 15 Lt container all I am required to do is add water and yeast.
Thanks
Mark from Sydney

markven said:
I usually add a 1kg bag of malt/ dextrose mix to my wort to increase the alcohol content, are there other advantages to adding this? Or could I simply add sugar to save money, and get the same result? I'm using a fresh wort from my local brewery, this comes in a 15 Lt container all I am required to do is add water and yeast.
Thanks
Mark from Sydney

Flavor and body. Sugar will thin the beer out and is flavor-neutral at best. Stick with the malt extract for the best tasting beer (unless you're going for a style that should be thinner/drier)

Flavor and body. Sugar will thin the beer out and is flavor-neutral at best. Stick with the malt extract for the best tasting beer (unless you're going for a style that should be thinner/drier)

+1

Malt sugars are partially fermentable while table sugar and the likes are nearly 100% fermentable. Sure you'll boost the booze, but your beer will be lacking in the way of body and mouthfeel.

Thanks
Mark from Sydney

Well, just dont add water or even if it is still to "light" boil it down a bit? Use the hydrometer to get your target ABV. That way, you are not "adding" anything that change the original taste of the beer.

Back