Pecan Wood in beer!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonneTerre

Reaction score
I unfortunately had to cut down an old Pecan Tree. I am giving the wood away to a friend who can mill wood. I kept a small amount though, only chips of the inside (no bark) for BEER!

I plan to treat it exactly like I do oak (sans any toasting). I normally peel the bark off then split the logs into staves (no bigger then a carboy mouth), then using a chop saw slice it into coin like pieces about 1/2 inch thick. I then soak them two weeks in boiled then sulfited water, then drain and repeat 3 times every two weeks or so, then i rinse the wood with boiled unsulfited water and allow them to dry in my oven (off / 120f). Then I usually toast them to 2 different levels (light/medium) in the oven.

I would love any ideas or experiences with pecan wood or any flavor thoughts maybe a "Pecan Rauchbier or Swartz, etc..."

First I plan to oak a Biere de Garde split batch with A: 4 oz pecan/B: 6oz pecan / C: 4oz Med Oak. This is a recipe I normally make with 4oz of oak should be fun to compare with the pecan. I will add it 3 weeks in (or after fermentation has stopped). And Leave it for 2 weeks at ale temp and CC at 34f for 2 weeks then rack off the wood into kegs.

Disclaimer;

I have to say that cutting down trees, splitting wood and using a chop saw are all dangerous and should only be attempted by one with trained professional experience, right!

Cheers and beers!!!! jacob

How did this turn out? I am thinking of using pecan wood for a brown ale that is currently fermenting.
Jayme

Back