Taxes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are your taxes done?

• Yes

• No

• Oh, schnap! Gotta do them now!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
They're due on Monday. Are yours done yet?

I just did ours today and for the first time ever, we OWE about $2,000. Boo!

I just finished mine on Thursday. Getting about $5,000 back, total. I know I'm withholding too much, I'm giving the gub'ment a free loan, but honestly today - I really don't care. :D

How many people do their taxes themselves? My return is still pretty straightforward, so I've been using completetax.com for the past three years and been very satisifed.

Yep, due Tuesday. Monday is the little known (except to the gov't) Emancipation Day. I use TaxCut and it seems to meet my needs. I used it last year for planning my tax bill this year and the net result was that I wound up owing $70 so I'm pretty happy.

In MA, it's Patriot's day, also the day of the Boston Marathon. Maybe I'll have to brew something.....

Anyway, taxes were done mid-February. We got a lot back. My wife and I use these funds for captial improvements around the house. Last year was a new roof, this year is just small stuff - refinished a floor, painted a room, new light fixture, etc.

I was done about two weeks after I had my W-2's. Turbotax is the way to go for general tax returns. Love the child tax credit which netted me a $6500 return, although it seems like alot, I'm sure the kiddos cost me way more than that on a yearly basis.

I've had my taxes done for a while now and got my return back on Friday. I do my own taxes, the hard way-no turbo tax. I actually used turbo tax one year and got the same results as doing them from the book and the book took less time, for me anyway.

My return went into an online account earning 5% and will go into a Roth IRA at the end of the year.

Mine sponsored my AG set-up:D among other things, like wood floors:D

Mine are done but I still need to pay state. They've been done for months,but I've been putting off paying. I'll probably be one of those fools out there waiting in line at the post office at 11 p.m. on April 17.

I did my taxes around Feb 1- because if I wait, I'm doing them at midnight on April 14th. Tax software and electronic filing made it easy for me for the last 3 years. Spent the refund already, too!

Mine are done, but not yet mailed. SWMBO still needs to sign.

I'm estatic. I still owe $300, but its the first time in 5 years that I've owed less than $1,200.

Our accountant tells us that we are all set. Whatever that means! It's what he says every year though. I guess I'll just have to take his word for it. :D

Been done for a while now. Foreign earned income exclusion, I subtract my salary from $80,000 come up with a large negative number and pay zero. Maybe when I register the critter as a US citizen I'll get some cash back... probably no.

Yes and no

Company taxes are done. $114,501 loss for the year.

Personal - filed for extension. Which I almost always do, because my investment company tends to send me updated forms until about June every year.

Re: lines at the post office. In Las Vegas, every year, they turn the road past the main office into a one way street and have six lanes of booths for people to drop off their forms. They keep the booths open until about 4 a.m. the day after and back date the late ones, because of all of the shift workers.

I do my own taxes, but also run them through Taxslayer.com (without paying or sending in) to double check for free.

I sent mine in a bit prematurely, as I later received some IRA witholding information afterwards. So, now I need to do an amended return. No biggie, it should just make my return larger.

Ryanh1801 said:
Got mine back in feb.

Me too. Got sick of TaxCut and TurboTax getting more expensive every year so I just downloaded the forms and did them the old-fashioned way. Got about $3000 back total.

McKBrew said:
I was done about two weeks after I had my W-2's. Turbotax is the way to go for general tax returns. Love the child tax credit which netted me a $6500 return, although it seems like alot, I'm sure the kiddos cost me way more than that on a yearly basis.

So now's a great time to decrease your witholding by claiming another dependent on your W4. The IRS laugh's their asses off when they cut a refund check that big.

I got hosed this year. One of my couple jos had very little withheld, so I owe a ton. I've been puting it off until they absolutely have to have my money. :(

I just stick mine in the post office box each year, no lines. Do most people send theirs express or what's up with the "long lines" I always hear about.

I can't figure out why, for the first time ever, I have to not only pay, but pay over $2,000. WTF? I wonder if it's because the wife used FSA for Miles' daycare.

I'm lucky I live in a small town and know the postmaster personally. I put two stamps on and it needed three. He paid the extra stamp, sent it, and gave me a postage due bill.

Cheesefood, it could be because of the FSA. When you use that for daycare, its no longer deductable.

I'm just happy that SWMBO has her business now and all the art supplies she would buy anyway are now business expenses.

Back