• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

I believe I found fairly cheap hops on ebay - 1 Pound Cascade $13 (only 3 left)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, 3 lbs left, I never have spare cash when this stuff comes up.

I was wondering how many the auction started with. The guy has other hops for sale on ebay too, but the rest are all very average/normal prices. This one stood out. Maybe a mistake, maybe he just got a gigantic huge stash of cascade, I dunno.

I would've bought all 4 of them but I really don't have a need for that many hops as I'm only brewing 2 gallon batches right now haha. Figured i'd share with the group!

Hops Direct Has cascade for $8.75 a pound.. most of their hops are really cheap because they sell them right off the farm. You can email them with what you want and ask for a shipping quote. I think for 1 pound its something like 12 bucks and it goes up from there. I requested a quote for 3 pounds and it was something like 13-14 to ship.

I ****HATE**** when people do that crap on ebay - a screaming deal, then gouge you on shipping. Doesn't combine on shipping either - 3lbs of hops would fit in one of USPS' larger flat rate boxes, but he wants $36. Feh!

I ****HATE**** when people do that crap on ebay - a screaming deal, then gouge you on shipping. Doesn't combine on shipping either - 3lbs of hops would fit in one of USPS' larger flat rate boxes, but he wants $36. Feh!

Me too when it's an obvious scam...

...but...in this case you can buy it for 99 cents? So who cares if it's $13 and free shipping or $1 and $12 shipping?

Me too when it's an obvious scam...

...but...in this case you can buy it for 99 cents? So who cares if it's $13 and free shipping or $1 and $12 shipping?
Because I can get 3 lbs of Cascade from Hops Direct for the same price, at that point ($8.75 x 3 + about $12 shipping) and I *know* their quality, as opposed to some guy on ebay with only 17 feedbacks.

I also found this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120475120003

$6 a pound here, but shipping is $8.55. So while it's a bit spendier if you're only buying one pound, he does combine shipping ($10.65 for 3lbs)

Because I can get 3 lbs of Cascade from Hops Direct for the same price, at that point ($8.75 x 3 + about $12 shipping) and I *know* their quality, as opposed to some guy on ebay with only 17 feedbacks.

I also found this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120475120003

$6 a pound here, but shipping is $8.55. So while it's a bit spendier if you're only buying one pound, he does combine shipping ($10.65 for 3lbs)

True, if you want 3 pounds :) I personally do not.

True, if you want 3 pounds :) I personally do not.
Fair point. And I wouldn't normally order 3 pounds, unless it was something where I was getting a great deal.

Haha, I just noticed he's selling Columbus for $1 a pound as well. Only amazingly, it's $24 shipping for those!! :drunk:

Fair point. And I wouldn't normally order 3 pounds, unless it was something where I was getting a great deal.

Haha, I just noticed he's selling Columbus for $1 a pound as well. Only amazingly, it's $24 shipping for those!! :drunk:

Those columbus sure are heavy and bulky! lol :tank:

i hate that inflated shipping garbage. cheaphops with their deals just about filled up my hops cubby in the keezer, so i'm out anyway. but eff fake shipping charges. trying to get your auction listed first when you sort by price: shame.

I would always be down for a group buy from hopunion.com if we can agree on a specific variety. They will sell me 11lbs at a time. I'm sure it's a better deal.

trying to get your auction listed first when you sort by price: shame.

I don't think that's necessarily the idea.

Ebay charges fees based on listing and selling price. Shipping charges are not included in the total. Sellers list and sell items intentionally low and jack up the shipping to avoid Ebay's fees.

Seller ethics aside (excessive shipping charges are probably a violation of Ebay's rules), I don't see the difference between $9.99 with free shipping and $0.99 + $9.00 shipping.

I make a habit of sorting by price + shipping: lowest first.

Cheers!

HAH! The guy raised shipping to $14 making the total $15 now instead of $13. Perhaps it was a slight error on his part. Not as good of a deal now...but oh well, I got my cheap pound, sorry guys :)

Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the purchase Yoda, and to the other members here that understand why I would use "outrageous" shipping charges in my ebay auctions. We all know that I can't sell a pound of Citra for $.99 and combine shipping if someone were to purchase 5 or 6 pounds. However if someone were to purchase large quantities, or multiple varieties, I would certainly work with them and give them a better rate.

I do understand that many of you may disagree with the "ethics" of my auctions, but the truth is I wouldn't be able to sell these hops at the price I do without using this tactic. Ebay fees are calculated by the "selling" price, not the "total" price. Hence I can sell for le$$ doing it my "unethical" way.

Anyway, If anyone here would like to know or if you are even the slightest bit interested, you can go to our website a atonofhops.com and check out the "real" prices. And if you email us through the site, we will combine shipping.:D

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that a return is given in the form of exchange, not refund. If you dispute the item, Paypal probably won't consider shipping. He may be on the up and up, but you have little or no protection when you pay 95% of the costs in shipping..

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that a return is given in the form of exchange, not refund. If you dispute the item, Paypal probably won't consider shipping. He may be on the up and up, but you have little or no protection when you pay 95% of the costs in shipping..

But also another thing to keep in mind is the fact that all of our products are insured for 10% over the total cost, and if any one of our customers is dissatisfied, we send them replacement product on us!

We are also more than happy to send them a refund but it hasn't come down to that as of yet.

We are a quality family owned business and feel that we should do business like we want to be treated. If you don't like our product We would hope that you would let us fix it but if not we are happy to refund your money even if it is from our pocket and not our paypal pocket.
Our main clients, brewpubs, homebrew stores and etc seem to like our old time morals.

Latest posts

Back