Calculating PPG values?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eallured

Reaction score
I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this is a really basic question. The software I use (BrewPal) uses PPG values to determine gravity. Most malt analysis sheets don't seem to include this information at all. I would assume there is a way to get this from the course grind extract values that are listed, but I haven't been able to come up with a formula, either on my own or through the wonders of google.

Is there an easy way to do this? Do the two actually relate?

Thanks for any advice y'all can provide.

+1.... 100% = 46 ppg

This means a malt with 80% DBCG would have a max yeild of 36.8 ppg (80% of 46), and used in a brewing system with 80% efficiciency it would ideally yield 29.4 ppg (80% of 36.8).

You need Promash.
It translates the typical malt analysis data into pppg, and costs nothing unless you want to save more than x recipes (I can't remember what x is).

-a.

If it worked on a mac, I would use it, but I'm not buying an emulator just to run one program. Brewpal works pretty good, cost like $3, goes with me everywhere (always have recipes on hand if sharing homebrews) and stores as many recipes as I want. It's far from the most sophisticated thing, so I supplement with BrewMath (which I believe is the sampe people as ProMash) for some of the calculations.

Back