Home Brew belly Be GONE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Since home brewing ramped up last october i began drinking more of it. As such i have gained 10lbs. Now this may not seem like much but i was already weighing in at a svelt 275. Now at 285 i am thinking it is time. My parents have aquired a few workout items (top end exercise bike, tread mill, weight bench).

7 years ago I got on a huge exercise kick and dropped to 238. Of course after the gym (university was on holiday) was closed for a couple weeks the routine that took me 2 1/2 months to form was eliminated in that two weeks and my weight slowly climbed over the next 2 years.

My colesterol is ok, can be better but doesn't require medicine.

I would like to get into the 230s, i think that would be my ideal weight. i think the obesity index says my ideal weight is something like 198, but lets face it, at 6'6" i would look like an ethiopean who had only eaten rice for the last 15 years.

If anyone else has a similiar goal of losing a bit of the beer belly post your goals and acomplishments here.

my plan which started today is this:

Stetch
14 min hard cadio on the bike
stretch
20 min of hard cadio on bike
stertch
tredmill for 5 min to cool down.

By hard cardio i mean get heart rate to target for that amount of time.

Notice in the whole post no mention of cutting out home brew:mug:

Just today I decided that I would get busy running. I go to the gym regularly but this is all about lifting weights, so my heart could just stop and the muscles would not have meant a thing.

My plan:
Run 3 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 4 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 5 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 6 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 7 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
(if still alive)
Run 8 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.

My goal is to get where I can run a half marathon at any given time without having to spend half a year getting ready.

I am a long way off and fear I will injure myself with this plan, but...
I was on the pot and great ideas come from there...

Hey count me in... Trying to get from 255# to under 200 at 6'3 that puts me about right.. no exact plan on how to do it yet.. probably just do the gym workout.. we get a free membership at the local gym thru work so I guess I am going to have to take advantage of that.. my other thought was that I have been wanting to get back into martial arts... hmm.. have to see what is around here for schools.

SpamDog

Okay, I need to get on this as well. I'd like to drop 20 lbs by summertime. Maybe we should form a club within a club! :rockin:

I just ran 2 miles tonight without being forced to. The US Navy has a great system of height vs weight tables. Once you fall outside those numbers they do some measurements and figure out your body fat. I'm over the weight by a few pounds, and come in at 20-21% body fat.

I was actually thinking of starting a belly off competition for the guys in my division.

Basically I think I am willing to give up some bad habits and exercise more so that I can drink beer at the same rate.

I've just received a year's membership at a local gym and am waiting for the cordial What-To-Do List from the trainer. I don't know about trading in the keg for a six-pack but I'm at 6'2" 230# and want to drop to 195# and still enjoy a couple of pints after work.

Wild

I'm 6'3" and weigh about 215. I'd like to get back to 190 if I can. Bottom line: burn more calories every day than you consume (which can be tough if you're drinking a lot of beer).

make room in the boat for me!
before home brew 195, now 205.
like orfy said - i refuse to buy new pants.
i get to the gym 3 times a week most weeks,but need to reduce food to balance the beer.:D

ok, me too. I've always been athletic but didn't exercise for a whole year when I broke my leg. And of course, added a pint or two of beer a day to my diet. I noticed in my vacation pictures I'm getting a little stout. (Get it- stout?). I decided to watch what I eat and to exercise more. Can't give up the beer.

I played hockey last night for the first time in a year (almost a year to the day since the unfortunate accident.). I did pretty well, got a few shots on goal (no goals) and some nice checks in. We had so much fun, we played an extra period for a total of 4 periods. I'll admit it to you guys- I hurt like hell this morning. I need to dig out my bike as soon as this snow goes and get myself in shape. I'm starting to look like I'm 43 years old.

8 months ago I wieghed 255 and at 5'9" that was way too much, so far I have lost 20 Lbs(I still have quite a ways to go). For me it was all about lifestyle. I work with computers which basically means I sit on my @$$ for a living. 8 months ago I was working in suburbia, parked 30 feet from the door to where I work, so basically I sat at home, walked to the car, drove to work, walk 30 feet, sat for 8 hours and went home.

That all changed when I got a job in Cincy and moved down to northern Kentucky. The closest parking garage with a reasonable rate was 3 blocks from where I worked, and to get to where I work I had to walk up to the sky-walk. So instead of a 30 foot walk I now have 3 blocks and several stairs that I climb everyday. Also my new house has a fireplace and I have 3 large trees worth of unsplit wood that I am currently splitting.

Shortly after starting work here I found out that if I went in the back way to the building there were escellators (and it was actually a half a block shorter), and of cource for the firewood I could rent one of those hydrolic (sp?) logsplitters and finish it in a weekend, but you know what... I feel better and I am losing weight so I still take the long way into work with the stairs, and I am splitting the wood with an axe.

My problem is exercise just for the sake of exercise doen't work for me. I have to find something I "need" to do. Basically I have to invent reasons to get off my @$$ and do something. So what happens when I finish splitting the wood, well I have plenty of landscaping projects I have planned and after that I'm sure there is something else I can find to do the hard way.

But we all have worked so hard to get this beautiful belly why would you want to get rid of it now!?!

You know, in European countries a big belly is a status symbol...

I know, I keep telling myself this as well, but I should really do something about it. Ever since I graduated college a year and a half ago i have gained about 60 lbs. Give or take a few. The only problem I have is I went from being a bean pole to having this beer gut on me. I have problems just getting out to exercise. Like EmptyH said, I need a reason to get off my a$$. I also work in an office with a lot of beer lovers so it's pretty common to go out 2-3 times a week after work.

Oh well, SWMBO thinks it's sexy :D Damn I love her!

great post, this is constantly in the back of my mind.

Well now that I have officially quit smoking, I can get rid of my homebrew belly as well as the extra weight I gained after I quit. But summer is here, so back to paintball and walking 18 holes on the golf course.

Im 6'6'' 240 lbs, I'd like to get back down to 225 by the end of the summer. Then get fat again next holiday season :)

EmptyH said:
8 months ago I wieghed 255 and at 5'9" that was way too much, so far I have lost 20 Lbs(I still have quite a ways to go). For me it was all about lifestyle. I work with computers which basically means I sit on my @$$ for a living. 8 months ago I was working in suburbia, parked 30 feet from the door to where I work, so basically I sat at home, walked to the car, drove to work, walk 30 feet, sat for 8 hours and went home.

That all changed when I got a job in Cincy and moved down to northern Kentucky. The closest parking garage with a reasonable rate was 3 blocks from where I worked, and to get to where I work I had to walk up to the sky-walk. So instead of a 30 foot walk I now have 3 blocks and several stairs that I climb everyday. Also my new house has a fireplace and I have 3 large trees worth of unsplit wood that I am currently splitting.

Shortly after starting work here I found out that if I went in the back way to the building there were escellators (and it was actually a half a block shorter), and of cource for the firewood I could rent one of those hydrolic (sp?) logsplitters and finish it in a weekend, but you know what... I feel better and I am losing weight so I still take the long way into work with the stairs, and I am splitting the wood with an axe.

My problem is exercise just for the sake of exercise doen't work for me. I have to find something I "need" to do. Basically I have to invent reasons to get off my @$$ and do something. So what happens when I finish splitting the wood, well I have plenty of landscaping projects I have planned and after that I'm sure there is something else I can find to do the hard way.

Funny you brought that up about the log splitting. My father lost 95 lbs over 2 years just by cutting, splitting, stacking wood. It is also a nice supplemental income and actually quite a fun hobby.

Congrats on the new lifestyle!

chillHayze said:
Funny you brought that up about the log splitting. My father lost 95 lbs over 2 years just by cutting, splitting, stacking wood. It is also a nice supplemental income and actually quite a fun hobby.

Congrats on the new lifestyle!

Yeah it is kinda fun. The best thing about it is its totally "barbaric". Being a programmer in a large company is all about the politics and conentrating on intricate details of a project. So on the weekend I do the Viking thing, brew beer and weild an axe. All I need now is a long boat and one of those horned helmets.:D

EmptyH said:
Yeah it is kinda fun. The best thing about it is its totally "barbaric". Being a programmer in a large company is all about the politics and conentrating on intricate details of a project. So on the weekend I do the Viking thing, brew beer and weild an axe. All I need now is a long boat and one of those horned helmets.:D

And don't forget the wenches.
:D:D

Well, this morning i can not lie, my legs are a bit sore but i fell good. And, i took the gym clothes with me so i can just sneak over to the parents gym after work and continue my cardio while watching boon dock saints.

I need a scale so i can report my progress every week.

We should have a % of weight lost competition. I will offer up a sixer of home brew for the contest. If everyone that competes does that the winner should be able to bulk right back up:drunk:

% lost over a 2 month period?

Since I moved to Oregon, I've lost about 15 lbs. Instead of walking the greyhounds around the park, I now walk them down to the mailbox and back twice a day. Doesn't sound like much, but my driveway is 2907 1/3 feet long (starting at the pole barn) and it's about another 1000 feet to the box. And a 200 foot climb coming back.

I also have about 50 cords of blowdown I'll start cutting & splitting this summer. They logged off the property west of mine and many of my trees fell in a storm later.

I need in on this game too, and I think I've got all of you beat in the how overweight are you category. I am a short 5'4" and I weight 250lbs! I need to lose 100lbs to be anywhere close to what I am "supposed" to be, but I would settle for just getting back to 200.

Once the spring hits I'll be back on my bike trying to work off some of this weight; we'll see if it works.

Reverend JC said:
Well, this morning i can not lie, my legs are a bit sore but i fell good. And, i took the gym clothes with me so i can just sneak over to the parents gym after work and continue my cardio while watching boon dock saints.

I need a scale so i can report my progress every week.

We should have a % of weight lost competition. I will offer up a sixer of home brew for the contest. If everyone that competes does that the winner should be able to bulk right back up:drunk:

% lost over a 2 month period?
Ya'll can count me in. I work at my computer all day. I used to run 6 miles a day, but then I got married, had kids, and gained 60 lbs. Just recently I've started trying to get out and do more. I have started playing hockey with a few guys from work one day a week, and basketball another day a week. I'm working on getting to 100 sit ups, and 40 push ups/day. It's only been a few weeks, but it's going well so far. I haven't weighed myself in years, but I'll find a scale. Let me know how ya'll are running this. I'll offer up a sixer too :ban:

PS I used the banana because he looked the most active :)

I do try eat healthy, but I just love food too much to eat salad all day and I only see a need to run if someone is chasing me. But, there are three other things that have worked for me:
1. The best advice anyone ever gave me was to not eat after 8pm. Your body starts to slow down in preparation for sleep, so any evening food goes right to fat.
2. I am not much of a gym guy, but do make myself take a couple of walks a week (it also make SWMBO happy to walk together).
3. I make an effort to stop eating before I get full. Hunger cravings do go away if you pause and wait a few minutes. It also helps to drink a big glass of water when eating.​
These three things have allowed me to say steady at 215lbs (6’3”) for the last 5 years. It would be better if I was under 200, but I am satisfied as long as my weight stays steady.

Interesting. Last night around 9:30 I put the computer down and decided to go for a walk. Then I decided that I should be running, so I jogged a trail. I couldn't finish the complete trail, but my heart was pounding and I was breathing heavy for a while. My breathing is much better today.

I'm going to try to keep running 5 times per week and see if I can't get from 252 to 200 by next year.

Weight loss club! Who's in?

basically just eating healthy and exercise will get your metabolism back up and the weight should start to come off. Just don't expect to see it happen overnight

be careful what you're outting into your body. Instead of chips, grab an apple...etc etc.

Now speaking off watching what you put into your body....don't Hefes have more calories than pretty much anything else?

As I'm reading this thread I'm sitting at work eating a plain turkey sandwich and a yogurt as opposed to my normal steak and cheese or chicken parm sub. I'm 6' 220lbs and even when I was playing Lacrosse in college and was in great shape I was still 195-200lbs, I'm just a solidly built person(or at least that's what I tell myself)

For me the weight gain didn't come from beer(entirely), but from working 50-60 hrs/wk at a desk job for the last few years. Well, now I work for myself and have more control over my schedule so I've been hitting the gym 3-4 days/wk. The gym I've been going to is right near a few colleges so at least there's always nice scenery to look at while I'm dieing on the eliptical machine......

You mean I'm not the only one that needs to drop a few pounds? ;)
Just had a salad today for lunch and the plan is to bring healthier lunches in
rather than the usual Quiznos or Wendy's. I'm trying to get to the gym, but overtime
is really cutting into that. I might try running or hop on the bike later in the evening,
after my 3 yr old has gone to bed.
So I'm in! Starting at 5'-9", 200#'s and the goal is to hit 185# in two months.
Should be very achievable if I stick to the plan.

If I can recommend one thing, and one thing only, it'd be this: don't just burn yourself out on cardio. Lifting weights develops muscle mass, which in turn raises your resting metabolic rate, which in turn burns more calories while you're sitting around drinking homebrew. Good luck, all.

:mug:

Evan! said:
If I can recommend one thing, and one thing only, it'd be this: don't just burn yourself out on cardio. Lifting weights develops muscle mass, which in turn raises your resting metabolic rate, which in turn burns more calories while you're sitting around drinking homebrew. Good luck, all.

:mug:

Yeah, i plan on doing some light lifting. Not that i am a wimp, but i am a huge barrel chested dude, and the last thing i want is to bulk up. I am not after mass, but i do see your point about resting metabolic rate.

One more big thing for me is to train myself when to be done eating. I love eating as much as i love drinking beer.............................smaller portions will be my biggest challenge but most rewarding one as i see it.

I don't really need to lose weight, but I need to get in shape. I'm 6'2", about 190, which is a weight I'm happy with. But, I am SO out of shape it's not funny. I can't jump around with Cassie for more than a minute or two without having to catch my breath. I've never been in terribly good shape, and recently I've gotten lazy about even walking the dog every morning.

So yeah, no more HBT at 6:00 AM for me anymore... time to get back in shape.

Funny how this thread is so appropriate. In January me and 3 co workers put $100.00 a piece on the line to see who could lose 25 lbs of fat and increase lean body mass by 5 lbs. I was 6'3" and 244, I am now 225 and still have 2 weeks to go. At 225 I still need to lose another 20 pounds or so. The problem is, and I will say what no one else has said......IT CUTS INTO DRINKING my wonderful homebrew. Lets face it, if you want to maintain a calorie defficient state to burn fat, you can't grab and enjoy a couple of 250 cal. Pale ales.:( I have limited my drinking to just one night a weekend, as well as eating right, doing cardio, and lifting weights. Boy does that really make you wish for the weekend worse than the normal work week. Good luck to all of us who seek to trim a few pounds and still enjoy our hobby.

My current contest is up in two weeks, and I am willing to set new goals and put more cash on the line if anyone wants to add a friendly monetary motivation to this thread. :D

I don't have much to lose (I don't even know how much I weigh), but I'm guessing 10 pounds would do it. I think, though, it's going to be easier to lose 10 pounds now than to keep going the way I am and then have 50 pounds to lose later on. My goal is just to be healthier and more fit. When I was young, there never was a problem. It's really true that your metabolism slows down after 40.

I am not so much worried about the weight, but more so where the weight is. Vanity I tell you. I'm 6'2" and 200#. I am not in great shape, but not horrible. My problem is I know I have some abs in there, they are just too well insulated right now. I guess at 47 I am doing OK, but I would like the belly to get back a bit. I think if I just walked regularly it would be better.

Sounds good. When my anniversary rolled around in Oct. I decided to drop a few pounds, and lost 15 by the end of the year. A few things I found that helped:

Find a quick and easy breakfast. For me it was a Myoplex protein shake. Not exactly gourmet, but healthier than Mc Donalds, Hardees & Burger King.

Eat slow. I was amazed at how little it took to feel full when I didn't stuff my face. I make it a point to read the newspaper with my lunch, and it helps to keep a real slow pace.

Learn to love mustard. Of all of the condiments mustard has to be one of the best for you. Unlike ketchup, bbq, and dressing it isn't loaded with fat or sugar. Just stay away from honey mustard.

I'm on my way to vegas on april 26th and refuse to look like i'm from Wisconsin so I have rededicated myself, and will check back frequently to see how everbody is doing.

5' 11.51378"
209#

I noticed a few of you were looking at a fairly aggressive running program, try to remember that you don't want to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10-15% from week to week to prevent injury, i.e. if your running 3 miles 5 times a week, the next week you would run 3 miles 3 times and 4 miles 2 times...

At least thats what I remember from my marathon days:cross:

Yanos said:
I noticed a few of you were looking at a fairly aggressive running program, try to remember that you don't want to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10-15% from week to week to prevent injury, i.e. if your running 3 miles 5 times a week, the next week you would run 3 miles 3 times and 4 miles 2 times...

At least thats what I remember from my marathon days:cross:

Good call. So, in a few weeks I'll be up to 10 blocks.

So are we starting something semi-official here? Do we plan on keeping track of everyone's progress in some form? Either way, I'm in. I'd gladly like to drop about 40lbs (short term is 20 before I transfer in July). No matter how we do this, GOOD LUCK to all of you!

I am in. I am 87Kilos. Should be around 80K. Have told SHMBO that it is because muscle weighs more than fat but she pointed out man boobs last night and quashed my argument.
EDIT : 87K = 191.8 pounds, 80K = 176. Also I am NOT giving up beer.

Drinking more water than you do now will help out a lot, especially if you replace soda with it. It sounds crazy but cold water will boost you metabolism by a small percentage and help keep off water weight. I did the switch from soda to water and in 2 weeks had lost a lot of fat which is what it sounds like everyone is after. Also if you drink a glass of water before you start eating you will end up eating less acting as a natural diet suppressant. Just thought Id add some info that seemed to work well.

Back