Dry hopping half a 5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney1217

Reaction score
So I've never tried, but I have an IPA in the primary now, and I thought it might be interesting to split the batch in half when racking to secondary and dry hopping one part and just leaving the other.

Would this be a problem when using 5 gallon carboys? There would obviously be way more air in the carboys, which could be bad?

Any experiences/thoughts would be appreciated...

Racking 2.5 gallons of beer to a 5 gallon secondary is not typically recommended because of the risk of oxidation. You would need a 3 gallon secondary if you wanted to do that without worry. However, putting 2.5 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon primary is perfectly acceptable. The thick layer of CO2 atop the now beer protects it from oxidation.

For the most part, the majority of homebrewers don't even bother racking to secondary just to dryhop. Dryhop in the primary. A secondary dryhop is somewhat unnecessary, but it's not wrong per se either.

Ah. Good advice. I realized i want to keg the whole batch, so i think I'm going to dry hop the whole batch in primary. Thanks!

Back