GRABASS 1/9 Brewgasm (Cary, NC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
AS LONG AS WE ALL PROMISE NOT TO FLOOD MY LAWN (again)....

We'll be having a group brew session at my place in Cary, NC on Saturday, January 9th.

For all that chose to brew-along, our group goal is to find the most efficient way to get our wort chilled (I'm serious about the lawn flooding thing... it has still never really recovered from the 4-man session in 2007.)

We can at LEAST use a CFC with perhaps an ice-bath pre-chill. A possible zero-waste solution would be to get fancy and pump the sure-to-be-frigid water out of my 55gal rainbarrel and into an IC or CFC instead of using the tap and re-circulate the water back into the barrel.

Anyone got a small non-food-grade sump or utility pump?

Mas fina!

I have a 350gpm pond pump that I use to recirculate ice water through my IC. I'll definitely try to make the brew day, but even if I can't you are welcome to borrow the pump.

Chad

NICE!!! I have a CFC as well if we need another. I have never used it since I just received it through the pay it forward thread. I can always get it cleaned up and tested before the Brewgasm commences. Oh, and count me in on this one. If there is enough interest and brewers, would we be interested in splitting up a sack of 2-row? As long as Walker doesn't mind us using his mill and whatnot. Just a thought, I'm the rookie here.

I have a 350gpm pond pump that I use to recirculate ice water through my IC. I'll definitely try to make the brew day, but even if I can't you are welcome to borrow the pump.

Excellent. Thanks. How much oomph does that pump have? (How high can it lift the water?)

NICE!!! I have a CFC as well if we need another. I have never used it since I just received it through the pay it forward thread. I can always get it cleaned up and tested before the Brewgasm commences. Oh, and count me in on this one. If there is enough interest and brewers, would we be interested in splitting up a sack of 2-row? As long as Walker doesn't mind us using his mill and whatnot. Just a thought, I'm the rookie here.

I could go in on a bag of grain. It'll eventually get used. No problem with anyone using my mill. I have been cranking it with my cheap-o cordless drill. One batch of grain just about saps the battery. Anyone can use the mill, but I get dibs on the battery. It's hand-cranking for the others. :D

I could go in on a bag of grain. It'll eventually get used. No problem with anyone using my mill. I have been cranking it with my cheap-o cordless drill. One batch of grain just about saps the battery. Anyone can use the mill, but I get dibs on the battery. It's hand-cranking for the others. :D

Or BYOD (Bring Your Own Drill)

Excellent. Thanks. How much oomph does that pump have? (How high can it lift the water?)
If I remember the specs right, it's good for 7' or so with 10' being its shutoff point.

And I hope no one was confused by my typo. That should read 350 gallons per HOUR; GPH not GPM. Although 350GPM would be pretty freaking impressive.

I'd like to come up to this. I can bring a drill along! Shoot me some info when you get a minute. Thanks!

I can probably bring some grains up with me... Got probably 30 lbs of pale malt and hopefully 50 lbs of pilsner coming soon.

So who's all brewing? I know you were discussing it Sunday, but I couldn't hear all that well. I believe the speakers for the music were right next to the computer. I am expecting to get some ingredients from Santa, but if there is interest I could be down for throwing in on a bulk buy.

I am not sure who all is brewing.

To be honest, I REALLY liked brewing in the garage this past weekend. First time I had ever done it, but it worked out really well (out of the elements, nice sloped driveway to carry away waste water instead of flooding my lawn.)

I would like to brew in the garage again, but I don't know how many rigs I could get in there. If I clean all of the junk out of the one side of the garage, I could probably get a few rigs in there if we are clever.

But... we can decide that once we get a head count for brewers.

I'm obviously brewing, and I think the Baron said he was going to brew. Not sure about Boston.

I'll PM some people and try to nail down a count. If it's just a couple rigs, we'll do it in the garage for sure.

-Walker

My initial thinking was to brew more Porter, but I could also be coerced into an APA of someone wants to brew a 10 gallon batch and split it.

I had also considered an IPA, but I definately couldn't do a 10 gallon batch of that unless we augmented the the mash with several pounds of DME.

For the record, my 10 gallon orange cooler can handle 20lbs of grain, AND THAT'S IT.

Shall we orchestrate a group buy beforehand?

I think we could do that. Let's get the headcount and total grain and hop bill assembled and then we can probably order everything and just have it delivered to my house.

Austin homebrew sells 200lb sacks of 2-row, btw.:rockin: (actually... that would probably come in a drum, wouldn't it?)

110lb can be put into a larger sack without too much risk. I think I remember him saying that he splits it up into 4 seperate boxes when he ships the 200lb orders, could be wrong.

Anywho...

I wouldn't mind bringing up some malts and hops and getting in on a split batch. I should have a sack of Pilsner malt coming from Santa and I have probably 30 lbs of Pale Malt on hand. Hops on hand include about a lb each of Cascade and Argentine Cascade, half lb each of Palisades and German Tradition, and various others in smaller quantities. Also, I can cook up some of my own darker malts and Crystal malts. I'm not as good judging the color of Crystals yet but it is tastey! And, of course, I'm not opposed to buying more if a recipe required it!

Anyone want to go in with me on a batch? We can coordinate through PMs to keep the thread semi-clean.

Sounds like, weather permitting, this will rock!

I think I remember him saying that he splits it up into 4 seperate boxes when he ships the 200lb orders, could be wrong.

Nope, you're correct. Forrest just responded to my PM about the packaging for 200lbs of grain. Four 50lb sacks in four boxes.

I had never brewed in a garage before but done it in my kitchen many times. I have to say that the garage has several benefits over a deck, comfort not being the least of them. The fact that you had the hose right there definitely helped.

Just based on my memory alone, I'd say you could easily fit 4 to 5 in your garage without crowding being an issue at all. Especially if you can get all the mashing done then move most of that stuff out of the way to do the boils. If you can do that, you'd probably be able to fit 6 or possibly even 8 in there pretty easily. The main thing to remember is that everyone will HAVE to clean up after themselves as they go... No waiting around. Of course, with the driveway right there, it wouldn't have to be "clean," only out of the garage and the way. Yes, space utilization is part of what I get paid to do 5 days a week...

Your memory had made my garage bigger than it really is. No way we're getting 6+ kettles in there.

I would start to be a tad concerned about CO2 and CO buildup with too many rigs burning all that propane. Yes, the door is open, but still...

You should be able to put them all by the door without a problem. I'm thinking 5 sqft per setup with a small fan blowing fresh air in and another blowing out... OK, so I'm in the weeds. Anyway, 5 shouldn't be a stretch! Still, measure it out, I bet 8 will fit!

You may have a good point, though. CO2 and CO may be an issue if the airflow isn't there. I'd assumed a breeze and a lot of traffic into and out of the garage so it wouldn't build up. Of course, there's the whole fact that it is connected to a house and all... You're probably right!

I had never screwed in a garage before but done it in my kitchen many times. I have to say that the garage has several benefits over a deck, comfort not being the least of them.

WTF are you talking about?

Semen aside, I'm down for brewing on the 9th. Walker, let me know how many people will be brewing, because I might do 10 gallons myself if possible, I've got a party coming up the end of January and I won't be able to brew before then.

Semen aside, I'm down for brewing on the 9th. Walker, let me know how many people will be brewing, because I might do 10 gallons myself if possible, I've got a party coming up the end of January and I won't be able to brew before then.

Kind of pushing it to get your beer in a glass in 3 weeks, aren't you? What are you planning to make?

Right now we have:

My rig, 5 gallons of space claimed, the other 5 open for a piggybacker. Thinking 'porter', but that's not firm. If I make the porter, I can cook up a starter of 1028 London Ale yeast if anyone wants to use the same strain.

Boston's rig, all space claimed. Brewing = ?

Frink's rig, all space claimed. Brewing = ?

I believe Barc and Ryan both want to take a batch home, so we'll definitely need at least one more rig.... two if no one wants to pair up.

-Walker

I would like to bring my rig and brew, space permitting. If santa brings me some ball valves, I may even be able to do a 10 gallon batch. Otherwise, it'll be a 5er for me. Also, depending on the weather we could use the driveway as well to free up some more space inside the garage. Just a thought. Someone consult the farmer's almanac and report back.

My driveway would be precarious. It has a slope down to the street. Not exactly where you want to have 100+ lbs of steel, fire, and boiling liquid, but great for draining away water.

I can bring up a cordless drill, as well. And a barley crusher if it is needed. And malt and hops and whatever...

FOLKS.... if we want to order grain and have it shipped to my house, I need to do this ASAP. I will be out of town from 12/26 through 1/7, so I need to order and take delivery before Christmas.

I have this info already:
Boston - 25lbs of 2-row
Frink - 25lbs of 2-row

I can use 25lbs myself, so we are probably looking at 100lbs at least.

I can also tack any specialty grains and/or hops onto my order if you want, but I need to know what you want ordered IMMEDIATELY.

Hmmmmm...... guys, I think I am cutting it too close for ordering.

The last time I ordered from AHSm it was a Tuesday. The package left the building on Thursday, and was delivered on the following Tuesday.

If this is a reliable indication of the next order, it will NOT arrive before I leave, and that might be a major problem. (Imagine 100+ lbs of grain sitting outside on my doorstep for 1.5 weeks.)

I suppose I could try and have them put it inside the garage (leaving the side door unlocked), but I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Ask Forrest if they could deliver it to Boston's or somewhere... I may be in for some hops if you decide to order.

Boston will be out of town, too.

EDIT: I will have a chat with my next door neighbor tonight to see if they will be around after Xmas...

Boston will be out of town, too.

EDIT: I will have a chat with my next door neighbor tonight to see if they will be around after Xmas...

Ah, the joys of living next to folks who routinely get 200 lb packages in the mail and are out of town when they do!

I would like to bring my rig and brew, space permitting. If santa brings me some ball valves, I may even be able to do a 10 gallon batch. Otherwise, it'll be a 5er for me. Also, depending on the weather we could use the driveway as well to free up some more space inside the garage. Just a thought. Someone consult the farmer's almanac and report back.

Skee,

Are you looking to brew 10 gallons for yourself or do you wanna split a batch?

Skee,

Are you looking to brew 10 gallons for yourself or do you wanna split a batch?

I am down to do a 10 gallon batch (it's kinda fun) but currently my keggle doesn't have a ball valve. I am hoping to get one for Christmas, but if I don't I won't be able to use a CFC and be stuck using an IC and I know there were some flooding concerns so I'm not sure if I will be able to use it without the valve. In short, I am more than happy to do a 10 gallon batch if I can.
Walker, if we brew in the garage, would it be possible to use an IC? Let's start there...

I'm not trying to answer for Walker but I think the IC would be flowing water into the street so it shouldn't be a big deal... At least I think that's what he had said.

Since it's looking like we're going to be making over 30 gallons of beer, I want to minimize waste water as much as possible... not because of the lawn, but just because of the huge volume of water we are talking about.

I am borrowing a pump so that we can use rain barrel water for chilling (would work for both IC and CFC) instead of fresh water, and we can pump the output back into the rain barrel. No waste.

Also, I think Boston will have a march pump by the time we brew, so even if you have no spigot on your kettle, you might still be able to use a CFC if you say "pretty please".

Double pumped chilling with no waste!

Back