First All Grain session was a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of "First All Grain" posts, however I have some specific questions after this run.

I'm not going to obsess over my efficiencies in general, however for my first few all grain batches, I'm going to track them til we get mid-80's or low 90's.

My biggest question is more regarding something dumb that I did than technique (maybe thats the same thing).

I took my First runnings gravity, batch sparge 1 gravity and batch sparge 2 gravity, however somehow I forgot to get a sample once we starting heating for the full boil. How can I get a decent estimate on what my SG would have been?

Also, what would a decent estimate be for grain absorbtion? x quarts of water absorbed by x pounds of grain?

Thanks for all the advice while we moved to all grain. Many of you have been a real help.

Thanks Bobby,

From what I would assume on that .12 gallons water/lb grain, that would be during the initial mash, since during the sparge the grains should have already absorbed water to their potential. Since we aren't "squeezing" out the grains, they should not absorb much water during the sparge. Would that be correct?

I tried the math, however it doesn't make much sense to me, since we ended up with 1.056 OG into the fermenter, and boiled off almost 2 gallons. That should make the wort's OG reading more concentrated than the SG.

13.75 qts of water for mash, running off ~ 2.2 gallons @ 1.085
11.3 qts for first sparge, running off ~ 11 qts @ 1.055
11.3 qts for second sparge, running off ~ 11 qts @ 1.018

We started at a little over 7 gallons, and expected to boil off about 1.5 gallons (we boiled off almost 2)

My math would be [(2.2 X 85) + (2.75 X 55) + (2.75 X 18)]/7 gallons = 1.055

Shouldnt this boil off to a higher concentration than what I got for my OG of 1.056?

Thanks Bobby,

From what I would assume on that .12 gallons water/lb grain, that would be during the initial mash, since during the sparge the grains should have already absorbed water to their potential. Since we aren't "squeezing" out the grains, they should not absorb much water during the sparge. Would that be correct?

I tried the math, however it doesn't make much sense to me, since we ended up with 1.056 OG into the fermenter, and boiled off almost 2 gallons. That should make the wort's OG reading more concentrated than the SG.

13.75 qts of water for mash, running off ~ 2.2 gallons @ 1.085
11.3 qts for first sparge, running off ~ 11 qts @ 1.055
11.3 qts for second sparge, running off ~ 11 qts @ 1.018

We started at a little over 7 gallons, and expected to boil off about 1.5 gallons (we boiled off almost 2)

My math would be [(2.2 X 85) + (2.75 X 55) + (2.75 X 18)]/7 gallons = 1.055

Shouldnt this boil off to a higher concentration than what I got for my OG of 1.056?

[(2.2*85)+(2.75*55)+(2.75*18)]/7.7G=1.050
check your own math plz:D

I think the difference is that erik divided by 7.7 which is the total of the 3 sparges. I also get 1.050 but I ain't no math whiz.:)

My head hurts, time for another homebrew.
I think the answer is the absorbtion is only on the mash, but then again "I see numbers all around me".

[(1.5 X 85) + (2.75 X 55) + (2.75 X 18)]/7 gallons = 1.046, however that would suggest that the grain bill absorbed a lot of water in the mash... I think the bottom line is that I need to finish up my keggle and start collecting a larger amount of runnings...

Back