Acid-proofing my digital temperature probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstorm

Reaction score
Hey all!

Short story:
Does anyone have any suggestions for making a digital temperature probe that's not food grade or acid-resistant safe to use for brewing?

Some background:
I've built a mash temperature controller using an Arduino board, a digital temperature probe, and an electrically actuated gas valve. I program the Arduino board with my mash schedule, and it turns my natural gas source on/off as necessary to maintain my temps within a degree. My concern is that the probe will disintegrate in an acidic environment. I'd like to shield it from the acid somehow. I'm curious if anyone's done that...

Thanks!

Thanks alien - I have the probe, I was hoping someone had a concept for a DIY thermowell. Is a thermowell just a stainless steel housing for the probe? I could easily build that with hardware store parts, but I'm not sure if they're that simple having never had one...

Who wants to pay $35? You can sample the DS18B20s from Maxim for free. Or LM35s from TI.

Back