Testicular Cancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
Hi

I have been on the forum for the past few months. I just finished my first brew an oktoberfest from true brew. They have been bottled and awaiting my return.

I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer a few days ago and I am currently awaiting surgery to remove my bad nut. I have already thought about making a "one nut brew" or even naming my brew "one nut brewing company"

Anyway I wanted to raise awareness and tell every guy on the forum to do a self check tonight. All the girls on the forum give your guy a self exam.

I am only 29 years old and apparently the prime time to get this form of cancer is 20 - 35 years of age.

If anyone has gone through this please feel free to contact me if you have time. I am scared but I am trying to keep a good outlook on things.

Everyone drink a home brew for me!! and I will toast to everyone once I get back home.

Charlie

Bro, I am sorry to hear about this. We all wish you the best, I am sure everything will be fine. Thank you for the reminder, and let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We all wish you a quick recovery.

Let us know how the oktoberfest turns out. The one nut brewery is a cool idea, I am worried about the logo choices though. ;)

Lifting one for ya right now brother! Think positive. It really does help! I come from a family of cancer survivors.

Dang man, that's a tough one. Got a mug full of brown ale up to ya man. Hopefully the SWMBO will be down for a little "examination" time later on tonight! Hang in there...

ArroganceFan said:
The one nut brewery is a cool idea, I am worried about the logo choices though. ;)

lol! yeah I could get creative with this one.

EdWort said:
Here's one for ya. My dad had one taken and is now 80 years old.

That's good to know! Right now it's kinda like brewing. The waiting is killing me. I just wish they could get the surgery over and tell me where I stand.

Damn man sorry to hear that. I had a good friend at my old college that was diagnosed with it. He made it out alright, he was only 22 at the time. After that my aunt who's a nurse got me one of those shower cards to know what to look for. Best of luck with everything.

I know this sounds a bit off, but I hoisted a red for you.
No brown around- it's in the secondary.

A co-worker had the same problem last year he's fine now.
Early detection is the key!!!! You'll be fine.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but thanks for sharing and reminding us all to take care of ourselves.

It sounds like you'll be good as new soon enough. We're thinking of you and hoping for the best!

:mug:

I am sorry to hear your news but your attitude toward the cancer is amazing.
Here's to beating this damn disease. :mug:
I'm sure you will be well soon. Your positive outlook will go a long way toward your recovery.

Hope it works out well for you. Having problems with the boys down there is one of the things that bothers all of us guys.

Sorry to hear the news, but if any positive can come out of it, it sounds like they caught it in time. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear the bad news, it must be pretty crap for you right now but take the positives from the posts above. Its far better for you to know you have it than not knowing and I'm sure you're in the best possible hands at the moment, you'll be fine.

Wow that sucks, but it sounds like you caught it early. Good luck on the surgery, I'll throw one back for you tonight.

Anyone else checking themselves while they type?

Me neither.:eek:

Hang in there, you can beat this. I personally know two people that have beaten it. One is now about 75 and has 7 kids and who know how many grandkids.

John Kruk had this when he was with the Phillies. When he reported to spring training after his treatment he wore a t-shirt that read: If I can't play first base, I'm taking my ball and going home! True story.

Bernie Brewer said:
If I can't play first base, I'm taking my ball and going home! True story.

Thats funny!! Thank you all for your support. Staying positive is hard, but it's much easier to do when you have people keeping your spirits up! :mug:

I've got some scar tissue on my nads....my sac to be more specific. Nasty bike accident in third grade resulting in 7 stitches....hence the name of my Nut Brown Ale.

Yeah, I think my dad was all scared when I was growing up. I'm his only son and he thought I got nuetered!
:ban:

I've assisted in a few of these surgeries. One of the surgeons always says "Thats why god gave you two" and throws it in the vial. Ask if you can keep it as a pet!

Maybe you can get a " peg nut" as a replacement! If that isn't some pirate stuff, I don't know what is!

All BS aside, best of luck on the surgery. The upside is that they've caught it before it spread. You'll be just as dangerous with one as you were with two.

On the up side: getting hit in the nuts will only hurt half as bad.:tank:

I think maybe you should consider "lonely nut" or "left nut" etc. One nut brewery kinda sounds like you are the nut, ie., insane! Lol
But seriously....

It takes courage to even talk about a problem like that. You have my respect and best wishes. Speaking of nuts, here is a clip I just posted an entire thread to, but I will place it here to hopefully cheer you a little.
http://ach001.imeem.com/video/WbXq1-zH/flying_squirrel/
Enjoy! Stay positive and keep talking about your fears.

So are you getting a neuticle?

Any other upgrades planned as long as they're already "under the hood"? Maybe add a little something extra? :drunk:

Hey everyone.. The surgery went well. I don't remember anything about it, but I do have the scar and pain to prove it.

Thank you all for the support. I should be getting my pathology report next week.

Then I will know the treatment plan that the Doc recommends.

physast said:
Hey everyone.. The surgery went well. I don't remember anything about it, but I do have the scar and pain to prove it.

Thank you all for the support. I should be getting my pathology report next week.

Then I will know the treatment plan that the Doc recommends.
I'm glad the surgery went well and I'm hoping for the best when the pathology report is returned.
Here's to a full recovery. :mug:

Hey, Pysast. I'm sorry to bump this old thread but I would love to hear an update. I am battling colon cancer and just posted about brewing up a celebratory beer for when I beat this thing. Give us an update. I hope all is cancer free.

One-ball Brewing.

Not saying any form of cancer is good, but you're very likely to get a clean bill of health now. Something to keep in mind for your son(s), should you have any:

The first inherited risk factors in testicular cancer have been identified, researchers say.

Genetic variants on chromosomes 5, 6 and 12 were linked to an increased risk of the disease, according to studies in this week's online issue of the journal Nature Genetics.

In the first study, researchers compared the profile of 730 testicular cancer patients with 1,435 healthy controls. Inheriting all three genetic variants was associated with a fourfold higher risk of testicular germ cell tumours, but only a small proportion of men carrying the variants will actually develop testicular cancer.

"We have known for some time that men whose father, brothers or sons had testicular cancer are much more likely to get it themselves, and we have been searching for this genetic link," one of the investigators, Dr. Elizabeth Rapley of the Institute of Cancer Research in Surrey, England, said in a release.

Latest posts

Back