Chicago "Spooky Beer Review"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
* Saturday, October 22: Spooky Brew Review 2005 at Emmett's Palatine

This year's Spooky Brew Review homebrew competition will be held on Saturday, October 22, at the new Emmett's Tavern & Brewing Company in Palatine. The competition is open to all homebrewed beers, meads, and ciders. We will be using the 2004 BJCP guidelines and, as is customary, will have two special categories: Spooky Brew (a "scary" beer) and Smashed Pumpkin (a.k.a. worst of show). All entries in the special categories must be drinkable. Entries are $7.00 for the first entry, $5.00 for additional entries, but only $1.00 for Spooky Brew and Smashed Pumpkin entries.

If you're interested in entering your beers, good or bad, just grab the Official SBR Entry Form (pdf) or visit the SBR Web Page. Fill out your forms and drop off your entries to Emmett's (110 N. Brockway St, Palatine) from October 1-15. Other entry sites include Bev Art, 10033 S. Western, Chicago;The Brewer's Coop, 30W114 Butterfield Road, Warrenville; The Homebrew Shop, 225 Main, St. Charles. You can also drop them off at CBS First Thursday (Goose Island Clybourn) on October 6 or the October 12 meeting of the Silverado Homebrew Club. This year, in order to facilitate competition day setup, walk-in entries will only be allowed for out-of-area judges and stewards.

If you're interested in judging or stewarding on the 22nd or have any questions about the SBR, please contact either Joe Preiser (joe @ chibeer.org) or Steve Hamburg (stevie @ chieer.org).

* Jeff Carlson wins BOS at 2004 Spooky Brew Review Homebrew Competition

Jeff Carlson, President of the Primetime Brewers of Grand Rapids, Michigan, captured the Best of Show at our annual Spooky Brew Review homebrew competition with an outspending American Amber Ale. Accompanying his BOS plaque was a 12' copper counterflow wort chiller, complements of the great folks at Beer, Beer, and More Beer Homebrewing Supplies. Jeff's superb beer was chosen just ahead of a Saison brewed by BABBLE's Daniel Morey and a Belgian Strong Golden Ale created by our own Bard of Belgium, Jeff Sparrow.

Grand Prize supplierJudging took place on Saturday, October 30, 2004 at Emmett's Ale House in Downers Grove, IL. Thanks to brewers Ryan Clooney and Rob Hunter, plus the whole Emmett's staff for their great hospitality. Of course, we also can't forget the great job done by event organizer Joe Preiser, judge director Zemo Holat, and all the judges and stewards who helped SBR run so smoothly. Finally, thanks to all our great sponsors for their prize donations and ongoing support. There were 156 entries across all beer, mead, cider, Spooky (scariest), and Smashed Pumpkin (Worst of Show) categories. For a complete list of all the competition winners by category, check the Official Spooky Brew Review 2004 Results pages.

Don't pass up next year's event, which will be held at another area brewpub that's brave enough to host us!

will have two special categories: Spooky Brew (a "scary" beer) and Smashed Pumpkin (a.k.a. worst of show). All entries in the special categories must be drinkable. Entries are $7.00 for the first entry, $5.00 for additional entries, but only $1.00 for Spooky Brew and Smashed Pumpkin entries.

Oh, if I had the means to get it there, this would be the perfect venue for my gnarly porter.

I picked a flyer up at Two Bros. and was considering entering my Cream Ale (not as a Spooky Brew ;) ). But I just won't have the time to do it by the deadline.

Back