Can beer ferment to quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
Since I began making starters, my beers have shown visible fermentation in as little as 3 hours with very active fermentation lasting 48 hours. After around 72 hours ( in some cases) visible fermentation seems to drop off to almost nothing and final gravity is reached in 4 to 5 days. Although I leave my beers in primary for at least 21 days, can the finished product be compromised in some way leading to off flavors by fermentation starting to soon, being to vigorous and finishing to quickly.
I have made the same Pale Ale for some time and pitched swollen smack packs. They have always been good. The last one that I did using WLP001 and a starter on a stir plate started very quickly and finished in half the time but I can taste a slight green apple taste that was not present in previous batches.

As long as your not over/under pitching, and you're keeping your temps consistantly in a good spot....then no.

The green apple flavor just means your beer needs a little more time. It will fade.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping. It's been conditioning for three weeks and I chilled a bottle for 36 hours to sample. I'm sure after two full weeks in the cooler it will change. Fingers crossed!

The only way I can see an issue with a super quick ferment is if the temperature gets out of control. That can happen if you pitch warm, and then the yeast start up right away and go crazy. The fermentation itself produces heat, and then the yeast go even more crazy, and produce more heat, etc. I've seen that happen when people talk about "explosive" fermentations, especially in the summer.

As long as you pitch at or slightly below fermentation temperature, and keep the temperature under control, a quicker fermentation is great!

According to Mr. Malty, my 1250ml starter should yield the proper pitch. Usually run it on a plate for 48 hours, refridge and decant. I doubt that it's under but not sure about over pitch. I believe its about right for a 1.057 SG..
Temps are regulated and constant at 68F for 21 days.

You're fine. Ever since I started following yeast pitching guidelines and so forth I've had relatively quick fermentations. Even beers as high as 1.090 have finished up in five days time. I tend to leave them in the fermenter for another two to three weeks after finishing though.

Starters and stir plates are relatively new to me as I have just pitched from the vial in the past. Have heard so much about the benefits of starters that I decided to take the plunge. My fermentations are a whole new animal and therefore started a new learning curve. Thanks for the reply and I am going to leave this go for about three weeks and see how it does.

Back