mixer attachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about that, but the mill looks like it's better suited to making flour, rather than just cracking grain open. Besides, it's expensive...I can buy a Barley Crusher and hopper for less.

yeah for the price it is kinda spendy but the space saving is nice...on the ad in the paper it said great for home brewing, and on the site it says flour and such

I think it's well worth the extra storage space to have a grain mill that is meant for homebrewing, that you KNOW can provide a great crush every time, will crush faster (large rollers), and has a decent-sized hopper, than to take your chances on a mill that's small and meant for making flour, especially when the prices are about equal.

Sure, if you're doing extract with steeping grains and not all-grain, you don't really need a large/fast mill or even a particularly ideal crush, but at the same time, spending $130 on a grain mill that you'll only be using for small amounts of steeping grains seems like a bit of a waste anyway.

mot said:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kit...essories/PRD~65660/KitchenAid+Grain+Mill.jsp#

anyone ever use this...my wife has one of these mixers and for extract batches I thought it would be nice for specialty grains. I have yet to see it in person and see how much you could fit in there but just wondering if anyone has used it.
I saw the add for it in the local sunday paper
I'd also be aware of these units having a tendency to burn up the non-Pro versions of the Kitchen Aid stand mixers, particularly when not operated specifically as the fine print says. You need to run the grain through these mills repeatedly, and adjust the grind smaller each time through. You can't just pick a grind size and start dumping your grain in, because the motor and plastic gearing in the non-Pro (the Professional one has the bowl that raises and lowers, the basic model tilts) fails under load. Take a good read of the reviews on Amazon.
Caveat Emptor

Matt

Back