Using Turkey Fryer@ Apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi

Reaction score
I was looking around to see if anyone has had experience with this issue:

I brew at my apartment on my back deck using a turkey fryer burner/stockpot combo. My apartment allows LP grills, but has a ban on turkey fryers. Understandable.

I'm clearly not frying a turkey, which can be dangerous with all of the oil just waiting to catch fire/explode/leak down to neighbors decks. My concern is that they will see the turkey fryer and write me nasty letters or evict me.

I haven't really approached the management about the issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has run into this "grey area" where you are using a banned item like a turkey fryer for doing everything except frying turkeys?

I felt that I was in the clear since I am basically just boiling water with a LP burner...I would think the grill is almost more dangerous.

Any advice or life experiences with a similar situation? I just want to brew my delicious beer and not get in trouble.

I come at this from the perspective of the landlord rather than a tenant, but I would without hesitation talk to the property management about this before going ahead. Maybe their objection is the pot of oil, but maybe it's the burner itself. If I caught someone using a turkey frier like this against an explicit condition of the lease, I would evict him and keep his security deposit without a moment's hesitation.

If they say no get a cheap gas grill with a side burner and swap the side burner out with your turkey frier

OK, that's good to know. I was actually hoping to get a landlord/management point of view and I guess I will hold off until I can clear it with the management here.

My assumption in the matter was that it's the danger and fire hazard created by frying a turkey that was the problem.

The main argument I had with myself is: Is it still a turkey fryer if it isn't frying turkeys? Not trying to be a smart ass with word play...just honestly considering if the usage defines the object.

OK, that's good to know. I was actually hoping to get a landlord/management point of view and I guess I will hold off until I can clear it with the management here.

My assumption in the matter was that it's the danger and fire hazard created by frying a turkey that was the problem.

The main argument I had with myself is: Is it still a turkey fryer if it isn't frying turkeys? Not trying to be a smart ass with word play...just honestly considering if the usage defines the object.

I get your question, and it's completely legit. There's no way to know without asking though. It might not even be the landlord's rule but rather a condition of his fire insurance contract. If the property management gets lax enforcing those kinds of thing, it can lead to enormous legal liabilities.

I appreciate the information MalFet; guess it all comes down to me just asking them.

Thanks for the help, I didn't expect my question to get answered so quickly :mug:

It's not a turkey fryer if your not frying a turkey. It's just a banjo burner boiling water.

Good point, and if they raised any concern (after you get their permission, of course), you can ask them why they think it's for frying turkeys. Many of the one's marketed as turkey fryers also include baskets for boiling things like seafood. Definitely smart to see what their issue with them is: the burning-hot oil or the high-powered burner.

approach management and ask them IF someone had a turkey fryer... but was using it to boil & not heat/cook oil, would they object.

Tell them you thought you saw someone using one on their balcony but they had chili or something in it & were not frying.

You might get your answer on whether it is the oil or just the flame they object to. :)

approach management and ask them IF someone had a turkey fryer... but was using it to boil & not heat/cook oil, would they object.

Tell them you thought you saw someone using one on their balcony but they had chili or something in it & were not frying.

You might get your answer on whether it is the oil or just the flame they object to. :)

haha, "If someone hypothetically had a turkey fryer and was using it for stock...would that be ok? Of course not me...someone...hypothetically...*cough*"

Crossing my fingers that it's just the oil! Going to ask tomorrow and hopefully be ok for the weekend.

Remember, you're not using a turkey fryer to make your beer, you are using a liquid propane burner to make your beer.

Say turkey fryer once while you're in the office and kiss chances goodbye.

Just build an electric rig and leave the landlord alone.

haha, "If someone hypothetically had a turkey fryer and was using it for stock...would that be ok? Of course not me...someone...hypothetically...*cough*"

Crossing my fingers that it's just the oil! Going to ask tomorrow and hopefully be ok for the weekend.

So, I have this friend...

I believe you wil be SOL regardless of how you present your question. From past experience, I was not allowed to use a grill on a balcony.

I would read your lease/rental agreement before speaking to management. Everything should be clearly stated. If it is not, it is obscured by a more general description i.e open flame or FIRE!

Hate to be a pessimist. I'm on your side. Just boil it up and act ignorant.

Zamial the trouble with electric systems is to get +5gal of liquid up to strike temps, let alone boilding you need 220 service which not every apartment has. Even then most 220 service is only a 30A breaker so you won't have enough amperage left to run a PID and associated control elements. You can run just the element on a 30A breaker but without the PID and ancilliaries you lose the whole point of going electric.

I understand the convenience is lost but why not brew in the parking lot?

My old situation might be different than yours (because they allow you to use LP gas grills) but much like maddad mentioned, I was not allowed to grill on my balcony. I asked management about it, and it turned out that it had nothing to do with the balcony. First floor tenants couldn't grill on their patio either. Apparently it was some law enforced by the fire department that I had to be a certain distance from the building to use a grill. She said that she could care less, but mentioned that the fire marshal would drive around and fine people for it. I would certainly get the details before you end up having to pay a fine.

Like Leithoa mentioned, people in my old apartment complex would just go out to the parking lot and grill. I would either just do small stove batches or do it in the parking lot.

Not to bring this off topic more. But you can run a 4500W element, PID, and pump on a 30A breaker. But also as someone that loves there electric rig, and has used it in 3 apartments now, it tends to be a pain. Draging the stove out to plug in gets old fast.

Also Sean I say you send Em in to ask, she seems less guilty haha.

MalFet and I would make good friends... I always plan on saying something then realize he already said it. I mean normal friends too, not cyber friends.

I would go electric but that's not really in the cards for now.

Not to bring this off topic more. But you can run a 4500W element, PID, and pump on a 30A breaker. But also as someone that loves there electric rig, and has used it in 3 apartments now, it tends to be a pain. Draging the stove out to plug in gets old fast.

I miss the "brewery" too man, having a floor drain and an unused 220 socket would have come in really handy about now.

I think I'm going to go the "hypothetical massive chili cooker" route, not turkey fryer.

Just wanted to say that I'm in the clear. Apparently it's mass quantities of flaming hot oil that is the problem, not the setup itself.

I've got the go-ahead to brew on my "outdoor propane burner and stock pot" system and will be brewing up a batch this weekend.

Thanks all, lets just hope the beer turns out now!

The apartments don't really care what you do as long as you're not bugging neighbors and they aren't complaining.

The problem(if I remember correctly) is with the fire marshal! THEY put the pressure on the complex about patio grills or burners.

Check with the legality of it and if nothing you can USUALLY get the landlord to agree with you brewing at one of the local grilling spots on the property.

KEEP IT LEGAL! No reason to piss off a neighbor or property worker.

I used to brew on my little apartment patio all the time with a turkey fryer. Nobody ever complained about the burner, although one time the fire marshal came by for an inspection and complained about the propane tank being on the patio, so I got a note from the management not to leave it there.

Had I been a part of this thread earlier, I might have mentioned that most HOA's / complex groups will send you many strongly (or not) worded letters before taking any actions which will include fines or reprimands before actually evicting you. I'm not one of the "better to ask forgiveness" types, but it does apply in situations like these.

Back