Black IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stblindtiger

Reaction score
This is for a 12 gallon batch:

37 lbs 2 row
1.25 lbs chocolate wheat
1.25 lbs crystal 40
3 lbs dextrose

Mashed at 154 F for 60 mins.

6 ozs Chinook 60 mins
4 ozs Amarillo 10 mins
4 ozs Simcoe 10 mins
4 ozs Amarillo 0 mins
4 ozs Simcoe 0 mins
4 ozs Amarillo dry hop 7 days
4 ozs Simcoe dry hop 7 days

6 gallons fermented with Cal Ale
6 gallons fermented with London Ale

22.9 SRM
9% ABV
121 IBU's

What do you think?

Should I cut back the dry hop additions?

I was about to say 'holy hops!', then I realized it was a 12 gallon batch. I like a dry hop on 6 gallon of IPA with 3 oz, considering your IBU and ABV I'd say you don't need to cut it back, it looks good. Though I might take something from 60 and move it to a 20 min addition. I also might drop the mash temp down to 151-ish to keep the FG nice an low. Let us know how she goes. looks like a fun recipe

That's where I usually mash at but I thought with all that dextrose, I could help balance some of that hotness out with more of a malt backbone.

I keep hearing multiple arguments for and against the 20 minute addition... Maybe I'll move the 10 min additions to 15, and then the 0 to 5 mins. Especially since I'll be dry hopping with that much hops...

I love amarillo and simcoe together, but I find too much chinook for bittering is harsh. I'd cut the 60 minute chinooks, maybe in half even, to get a nice firm bittering but not a bittering that will remove tooth enamel. :D

Lovin' the rest, though!

This turned out awesome BTW!!!!

I really changed up the hop schedule though...

FWH 1oz of Simcoe, and 1oz Amarillo
2 oz chinook at 60
3 oz Amarillo and 3 oz Simcoe at 15
4 oz Amarillo and 4 oz Simcoe at 0

Split the batch into two carboys... Cal Ale in 6 gallons, London ale in the other 6.

Primary for 3.5 weeks.

Dry hopped 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Simcoe in secondary for 10 days.

Racked to keg and keg hopped with 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Simcoe in a tea ball in the keg.

Thanks again!

Back