Holy, fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
Lets just say this was a little excessive on the yeast, pitched a packed of us-05 onto a prior slurry of 2 S-04 yeast packets. Needless to say my 3 peace airlock was full of crap in 5 hours so had to pull it out and clean it out and re sanitize. Is this ok to do?

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

sounds like you overpitched. Your beer will be fine. It's blowing out so much co2 that you don't have to worry about taking that airlock off. My fermenter is currently foaming over (slightly) with the lid just loosely laying on top and domed foil covering the hole. I'm not worried in the slightest. You'll find many people on here that don't even use airlocks.

Waitasec....so you had a fermenter with a yeast slurry of S-04 from a previous batch in it, which you racked your wort onto and then pitched a packet of S-05?

Good god man, that's a lot of yeast! Typically you only need like 25% of a yeast cake to correctly pitch a new batch, (super rough estimates)....I'm surprised you didn't have a mentos-and-coke type moment.

To avoid your 3-piece filling up, either buy 1" ID tube and stick it in your carboy and run the other end into a container of sanitized water, or attach a siphon tube on the tube inside the 3 piece, (take off the lid and the dome bit of the 3 piece), and run that tube into a container of water....this is a blow off tube, and will save you many a messy cleanup.

Back