Pumpkin beer hop back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So I want to do a Big pumpkin beer sometime in july or early august so it's ready for halloween...

One of the biggest complaints I have heard about Pumpkin beers are that they make the process of brewing a huge PITA... If it's in the Mash tun, then it drains crazy slow and is prone to getting stuck, if it's in the boil kettle it creates an uncontrollable blob...

So, I was thinking of doing something similar to a hop-back. I have an old 5 gal mash tun (i converted to a 10 gallon a few years ago), and my thought was to put some of the pumpkin in there, on top of some rice hulls, and then after it comes out of the mash tun put it in there for 10-15 min before the boil kettle...

This could also be done after cooling before going into the carboy... Any thoughts on if this would even be worth it, or if it would make things easier?

Well after much deliberation...I came to conclusion it is pretty much worthless to use pumpkin in a pumpkin beer. Aside from getting to say "I put pumpkin in this beer". But, everyone will think its there anyway with the correct use of spices. It contributes no flavor and a little body/sweetness. Body and sweetness can be accounted for by mash temperature.

Not saying a hop-back isn't an interesting idea...it just won't contribute to much.

Back