Kenmore 7.2 Keezer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirt55

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm putting together a Keezer from a Kenmore 7.2 chest freezer as we speak and everything is going well. The only problem is that for the life of me I can't figure out how so many people with this model say they can fit 3 corney kegs?!?! I've searched everywhere on the net and numerous posters from a year or two ago state they can fit that many. I can only fit one on the lower deck and one on the hump after installing a 2x8 collar. Squeezing 2 next to each other on the lower deck isn't possible. I have one pepsi keg and the other is possibly a firestone corney...they seem to be the exact size, just giving you more info. Whew...sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated by this Noob. :D

PS...thanks to Joe C for the inspiration, just 2 weeks ago I never even thought about using kegs due to storage/chill concerns :)

Are you sure you have a 7.2 and not a 5.1? I have a 7.2 Tapan keezer with a 2x6 collar and can fit five corny's. Two on the bump and three on the floor. Something is not adding up here.

<rant>
Your problem may be due to the brand name. I grew up with all Kenmore appliances, and thinking that they last forever, like the ones I grew up with, I bought all new ones when my wife and I built our house. We've been in the house nine years, and all but the washer have either been replaced, or had some kind of major repair.
</rant>

I agree that it sounds like you have a smaller size than what you think it is. I have a 4.? kegerator that I can fit two cornies in nicely. Three just barely won't fit, if I had another couple inches, it would.

I agree with the two posters above...it doesn't sound like you have a 7.2 cu ft. Freezer. Is your freezer square? or more rectangluar? The 7.2 should be more rectangular while a smaller one tends to be square.

On that, I don't see how any 7.2 could not fit more than 2 kegs...most people with a 5 cu ft freezer can fit at least 3.

The Kenmore freezers are very narrow and you can't get two side by side. I have the 8.8 cu ft freezer and it fits four on the floor and maybe two on the hump, but I haven't tried yet. Looking at the link for the Kenmore, the OP might be right. It's pretty much a box.

FWIW, I think the Magic Chef 7.2 @ Home Depot is the better option as it will take 6 and doesn't have a lot of dead space.

Shop for Kenmore in Freezers & Ice Makers at Sears.com including Chest,Upright,Ice Makers

FWIW, I think the Magic Chef 7.2 @ Home Depot is the better option as it will take 6 and doesn't have a lot of dead space.

I fit 4 on the floor, and adding a 6 inch colar would let me put 2 on the hump. I keep my tank/reg and a dozen chilled pint glasses on the hump of mine. Bought it for $210 new. there is very little dead space. on the floor there is about 1 inch to spare fron to back, and 2.5 inches side to side on the floor with 4 kegs in there

couldn't find any kenmores on https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

I went shoipping with round templates, and a stick 1 inch taller than my kegs...

icon14.gif
That's how ya do it! :mug:

Now I know how to shop around for a freezer next time! :) So I looked everywhere for the size, I was told it was 7.2 based on the craigslist add and I had no reference for how big a 7.2 should have been...So, I looked up the model number and it's a 5.0 cu ft. So with my collar i have one on the floor and one on the hump. It is a very narrow/tall freezer. Well...live and learn i guess. I'm just happy to be part of the keezer family now! :drunk:

Now I know how to shop around for a freezer next time! :) So I looked everywhere for the size, I was told it was 7.2 based on the craigslist add and I had no reference for how big a 7.2 should have been...So, I looked up the model number and it's a 5.0 cu ft. So with my collar i have one on the floor and one on the hump. It is a very narrow/tall freezer. Well...live and learn i guess. I'm just happy to be part of the keezer family now! :drunk:

Got any pics of the inside with your keg(s) in it?

Here is the pic of my original setup with one on the floor and one on the hump.
1st_setup.JPG
Keep in mind that I don't actually plan on keeping the Co2 inside. I just put this thing together yesterday. I then realized after moving both to the right side,
too_tight.JPG
though they don't actually sit together on the floor, I could theoretically tilt the one in the upper right and fit another on the hump, not too sure if this would work when it actually has beer in it, it's just an empty demo now :(

That is a strange box. I have a 5 cu ft and the hump is 1/4 of the floor, not a half like yours. It's a tight fit, but mine holds three cornies and I could have the CO2 inside on the hump. I think mine has better insulation as well.

yeah, that's what I had in mine for my layout...but it literally feels like it's just too small by less then a cm. I tried to cram it, but then I felt the walls starting to bulge and figured it wasn't worth damaging the feezer in any way. Either way, my beer is tasty coming out of a tap now :) Next project: getting my butt in gear to go PM --> AG!

FWIW, I would turn that freezer into a dedicated fermentation chamber which should hold two fermenters, either buckets or carboys. The hump could be mitigated with a false floor to span the full width. This would probably require an extra tall collar to make it work, but I think it could be done.

Then, get back on Craig's list and look for another freezer that has more usable real estate. I have a 7.5 cu ft Woods model and it will fit four 5 gallon cornies and one three gallon corny on the hump. It makes for a compact keggerator and fits easily in my small kitchen. I use the top as an additional kitchen counter work area.

My wife just got me the 7.2 Kenmore for my 30th and I am in the process of Keezerizing it. I measured it out and should be able to hold at least three 5 gal cornies on the floor. It may even fit four but I only plan on putting in three with the CO2 on the hump with plenty of room for other beverages.

Latest posts

Back