History of the Apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
A former colleague of mine from the plant sciences department, university of oxford, Barrie Juniper, is one of the world's leading experts on research into the evolutionary origin and history of the apple, as well as being a very charismatic apple enthusiast with an absolutely vast knowledge of the attributes and origins of hundreds of varieties. he has writting many articles on these topics as well as a book which i highly recommend, called The Story of the Apple. also he and his daughter translated some old instruction manuals from 17th century england, on gardening, planting an orchard, grafting, and most imortantly every aspect of cider making from selecting apples through to pulping, pressing, fermenting, and casking. it's a very interesting read, called The Compleat Planter & Cyderist: By a Lover of Planting
anyways in a recent silly newsletter from one of the oxford colleges i came across this article by barrie and thought it might be of interest to apple lovers here. it's a quick overview of his research and how he and colleagues brought in new dna technology to further investigate the apple's origins. hopefully you can read the scans, the quality didn't come out great...

212e8mq.jpg

mkezo7.jpg

Latest posts

Back