Bottles, and swing top bottle washers with sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SemperFermentis

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that when you make (or accidentally make) a sour that the hard plastics can be sanitized (although I don't take that chance) while the softer plastics cannot be 100% disinfected once they come in contact with the bacteria.

What about the rubber washers on swing top bottles? I assume that this is the same as the softer plastics, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this first hand.

Also, does anyone keep separate bottles for their sours? If not, what sanitation steps do you take when using a previously 'sour' bottle for a non-sour beer?

The need for seperate equipment in a home brewery for beers with bacteria or wild yeast is greatly exagerated. I replace my autosiphon and tubing at least twice a year, but I'd do that anway. I also soak stuff in starasn, maybe not every time I use it, but every few times for sure. I brew at least once a week and am yet to have any cross contamination between batches.

Keeping your bottles clean is easy. Soak them in oxyclean, rinse with starsan before bottling. I only and think I've had two individual bottles infected in the last year, which is under .1%.

The need for seperate equipment in a home brewery for beers with bacteria or wild yeast is greatly exagerated. I replace my autosiphon and tubing at least twice a year, but I'd do that anway. I also soak stuff in starasn, maybe not every time I use it, but every few times for sure. I brew at least once a week and am yet to have any cross contamination between batches.

Keeping your bottles clean is easy. Soak them in oxyclean, rinse with starsan before bottling. I only and think I've had two individual bottles infected in the last year, which is under .1%.

Ok, but are you doing sours as well?

SemperFermentis said:
Ok, but are you doing sours as well?

I thought that was implied by my answer. I'd say 75% of my beers are wild.

i do the same as TNGabe, about 40% of the beer i brew is sour and none of my equipment is segregated including my kegs. in the 3 yrs i've been doing this i have never had an unintentional sour beer.

Back