Malt vs Dextrose priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto36

Reaction score
Will using malt extract for priming vs dextrose give any appreciable difference in the flavor of beer? If it does, I would like to know how much DME would be used to replace the 5 oz of dextrose for a 5 gal batch. I tasted my first batch and it was really good. I was hoping that it would be at least as good as bud but it is actually much better and this is only a beginner kit. I can't believe that I never discovered this hobby sooner.

The general rule of thumb is 3/4 cup powdered Dextrose or 1 1/4 oz DME for priming a 5 gallon batch. DME will take longer to carbonate, and while it is true that DME will taste better than dextrose, it's only 3/4 cup we're talking about so the difference it probably not anything noticeable. I don't worry about it so I just use dextrose since it's cheaper and faster. but some people like to stick to the Rheinheinsgebot, so they use DME.

Back