Primary / Secondary Ferm. Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmiekr

Reaction score
Here are my options for fermentation, which would you suggest.

I have a 6.5 gal bucket and a 6.5 gal carboy. I meant to buy a 5 gal carboy, but i got a 6.5 gal instead. I'm planning on getting a 5 soon, but not for a bit.

Should I:

Bucket - Pri
Carboy - Sec.

or

Carboy - Pri
Bucket - Sec

My smack pack is smacked and expanding, that was an experience. I've never used one before and was afraid of breaking it.

Thanks!

Use the bucket for the primary.

I would suggest getting another glass so you can see your fermentation at work.
Its a cool thing the first time you see it.:fro:

I would suggest the first option. The buckets are good for short-term primary ferments because they offer more headspace than a carboy to accommodate a vigorous ferment and krausen. You can also put a big strainer like this over a bucket to help remove break material and/or aerate the wort.

The carboys make good secondaries because they seal up really well and are virtually impervious to oxygen, plus you can see if the beer is clearing well.

Yeah i was planning on using the bucket for the pri, but watching it swirl around in the glass was tempting.

kazmiekr said:
Yeah i was planning on using the bucket for the pri, but watching it swirl around in the glass was tempting.

You can put it in the glass and not use a secondary too.

kazmiekr said:

thats what i thought on my last batch until the head started spilling outa the airlock! :mad: . only got about 3.5 gallons outa that batch

Carboy, then bucket if you plan on dry hopping. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. You want swirllies, go for it!

Use the 6.5 gallon glass carboy as a primary.
Buy a 5 gallon glass carboy for secondary (less head space / oxidation)
Use the plastic bucket to bottle.

Back